“You wouldn't believe how long we waited!”
Review of The Lookout Cafe

The Lookout Cafe
Ranked #28 of 300 Restaurants in Weymouth
Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: While serving up cakes coffee and Dorset tea most of the time, the Lookout Cafe also serves tasty local fish and chips, fresh crab sandwiches, and salads of all types. Well worth eating there just for the view over Weymouth and Portland.
Reviewed 13 May 2018

I normally wouldn't write a review about a place like this as indeed, it is what it is which is just a cafe (albeit a pleasant cafe) & of course as everyone has already said, the view really is to die for. One of the best in Dorset for sure.

The food was good & plentiful but the wait was totally unacceptable hence it should be noted. OK, it was a warm bank holiday weekend & there were many folks wandering around but the delay was way past unreasonable. When I did my training for this chosen path many years ago, once the food was ordered, something had to be on the table within 20 minutes. I Googled this before writing this review & the general consensus seems to be 30 minutes these days. I realise people will pooh-pooh this as cavilling but what would you, on a personal level, find acceptable? Our concern was that individuals & families who were arriving after us were getting served before us too.

We ordered & paid at the counter when we arrived & the time was printed on the receipt so when I went to ask where our food was, it then suddenly appeared. Captious? Maybe but no apology or explanation was forthcoming & verily, we didn't expect one from the team that didn't really care.

I reiterate the meal was really lovely... but spoilt by the huge & totally amateurish & incompetent crew. And no, you really wouldn't believe how long we waited!

1  Thank Xanthe C

Reviewed 11 May 2018

I reviewed the Lookout Cafe two years ago when I had a fabulous crab sandwich there and gave it five stars. Since then, we've returned a few times and have, unfortunately, been disappointed each time but only by relatively minor issues relating to service etc. so I haven't posted since then. Today however, we returned for a crab sandwich and because the weather wasn't so good, we decided to have a takeaway. So my comments today are purely on the food and I have to say, we will probably never return there. The crab sandwiches two years ago were simple, fresh and generous - hence the five stars. Today however, when we opened our takeaway, we found an extremely poor version had taken its place. So poor in fact, that I took photos which I've posted with this review. £7.95 for a crab sandwich is not cheap - although pretty standard in Weymouth - and for that price, you expect a decent dish. There was a small circle of crab meat in the middle of the slice of bread - obviously arranged to appear generous and show the meat when the sandwich is cut in half and served, a pretty standard trick of the trade. So a small island of crab meat in the middle and just bare bread moat all the way around. I was pretty disgusted. A tiny serving of coleslaw - about a couple of teaspoons, one cherry tomato and a few leaves. Definitely not worth £7.95. There are many other places in Weymouth that serve good crab sandwiches with a generous serving of crab meat. Unfortunately, the Lookout Cafe is no longer one of these places. I may return for a cup of coffee in the future - purely for the view - but definitely won't eat there again. The chocolate cake we had was also quite poor - the sponge was dry and the portion was small. Perhaps there has been a decision to shrink portions - well, if that is the case, they have definitely lost a customer in me. Without hesitation, I would prefer to pay a little more (I know crabs are scarce at the moment and prices have gone up) to have an enjoyable and generous sandwich, rather than pay the same price as last year, for a lot less. The first way, you still have the choice to pay for what you want, the second way, I feel, is dishonest and underhand.

Reviewed 8 May 2018 via mobile

A good start to the day, breakfast with a large cup of hot coffee, outside at The Lookout. There’s a good selection to choose from and they all look appetising.

Reviewed 6 May 2018

Yet another lovely little cafe, perched right on the top of Bowleaze.
The views alone are worth just sitting there with a cream tea or ice cream.

Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

We found this place whilst we went out on a drive. It was really busy when we got there and had to sit out side to start with lucky the sun was out bit windy. I went to get a coke and found a table. Had to clear it myself as there was only two people working one cooking one lady serving and washing up. I had bubble and squeek wich was really nice just needed more salt for my personal preference. My wife had a white cheese sandwich on thick bread wich looked really nice. All the food that come out that i could see was presented nice and all cooked fresh to order wich is good for a such a small kitchen. We will return this week before we leave.