“Shocking Customer Service”

Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Phone: +441902343315 Fine Indian Cuisine
Reviewed 21 October 2018

Apologies in advance to anyone reading this lengthy review but i feel compelled to write it after the shocking service i received here.
My friends had booked a table here for a birthday, i called the restaurant the night before as i wanted to bring a cake in as a surprise but did not want to walk in with it. I asked if it was possible for me to call the restaurant on arrival and ask for the cake to be collected before i walk inside. A simple request i am sure most restaurants would be happy to accommodate to? The person i spoke to responded with the most attitude 'we are really busy tomorrow, i cant be sending people outside'. He then went on to suggest i arrive earlier which i explained was not possible (hence the reason for my call - pretty obvious do you not think??) I was clearly shocked by the response so he then asked which booking it was and went on to say he would ask someone to go out IF they were available. I told him that was rubbish to which he responded in an aggressive tone 'Madam i have just told you i will ask if anyone is available'. I ended the call by telling him all he will need to do is let the staff know to expect a call that someone is arriving with a cake that needs to be taken into the restaurant discreetly, to which he replied OK. I was so annoyed after this call that i did not even bother to call them when i arrived, i just risked being seen with the cake. I presume the person who took the cake from me was the person i spoke to as he had a smug look on his face (and gave me no greeting at the door). I spoke to the same guy at the end of our meal to give my feedback to which he gave me a flat response 'I apologize for that and i will speak to the person who spoke to you'.
You can keep the insincere apology - you had a chance to rectify the situation and you could not even do that. The response you have given to your dissatisfied customers on this page is proof you do not care about your customers and quite frankly your cockiness. Your customers are the reason you have a business! To anyone reading this if you are considering this restaurant, for great food and service visit Penn Tandoori over the road.

1  Thank AP8701
shahmalabar, Manager at Malabar, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2018

Thank you for your visit on Friday evening. As you very well pointed out our fantastic customers are the very reason we are in business and for the same reason we have an excellent repeat customer profile, of course you being the exception. I was the floor manager on Friday evening and it was as you correctly claimed myself that received you and received the cake from yourself, it was also myself that you spoke to at the end of your meal that apologised to you for your telephone conversation with my colleague, my name is Shah and usually I am the Manager when on duty.

I cannot comment on the content or the tone of the telephone conversation you had with my colleague, after speaking to you I did question my colleague to which he confirmed what you have stated, I have told him of your dissatisfaction and of course advised him to listen to everyones needs.

We received your party and welcomed you all, including yourself and as I took the cake off you smiled at you as a welcome gesture, you have called that smug. Your party had no complaints with the food or service (I personally overlooked your table) or the evening or when your cake was bought out to you, my colleagues singing happy birthday to your party. Of course yours was not the only party we had that evening and you may have noted that particular evening there was 5 other birthday parties.

Perhaps it may be difficult for you to understand what my colleague actually said was that if any member of staff is available he would send someone down to receive your cake. When he said available and explained to you we have a very busy evening and we are full to capacity, he still acknowledged your request and said he would send someone to receive your cake. Your response to that was rubbish, without listening to what my colleague is telling you.

You bought the cake in without any issues, you were served without any issues, you enjoyed the evening without any issues yet want to blame us for simply not coming downstairs to receive your cake at at time to suit you?

As you are of asian origin like myself may I take this opportunity to remind you that you were not being served at a roadside cafe in India, where you can treat people how you wish, you too must listen to what is being said to you. Me and my colleagues work in the hospitality industry and expect a little respect back from you. We were not rude to you at any point throughout the evening and ensured your party was treated with respect and of course having a good time. Of course we endeavour to meet all our guests expectations at all times, however, sometimes like yourself we cannot always do that even though we do nothing wrong.

Reviewed 17 October 2018 via mobile

I went on a Saturday evening. Which is unusual for me because I know how busy it is.
It was delicious as usual. Yes it was busy but they had lots of staff on and we didn't have to wait long.
I remember why I keep goin back ... because it is consistently great. Been coming here for a long time now and can truthfully say Never had a bad experience.... keep up the good work guys x

Reviewed 14 October 2018

As a family we all went to Malabar restaurant for the first time and we were very surprised! Our Mom was in a wheelchair and they catered very well for us, found a nearby table with plenty space for the wheelchair. We all had a selection of food, fish, chicken, lamb and vegetarian dishes all absolutely amazing, nice taste with a kick which I liked! If you are looking for excellent taste of indian food this is the place for you!! They are busy so you are probably better booking a table.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

I've lived in the backcountry all my life and tried and tested most curry houses ,but this is the best of the lot ,the standard is top notch.if you like lamb curry this is the place ,it's so tender plus there is a large variety of dishes not on most menus.

Reviewed 29 September 2018 via mobile

I've been using Malabar abt 3 years now. Top quality food, excellent friendly staff. Always welcomed like an old friend. Best to book weekends as it gets very busy. Excellent choice on menu,Indian food at its best.

Date of visit: September 2018