“Please don’t waste your money!!!”

Sofra Turkish Grill
Ranked #75 of 452 Restaurants in Wakefield
Price range: US$11 - US$28
Description: Sofra, the only Turkish grill in Wakefield with a contemporary and relaxed feel. It comprises traditional Turkish food in a stripped back industrial setting. Come and try our range of Turkish classics, hummus, Tzatiki or dolma vine leaves to start. Our mouth watering marinated meats including succulent lamb Shish, chicken breast and kofte from the main menu all cooked on a charcoal grill, and to accompany, warm homemade Turkish bread and a colourful salad bar
Reviewed 31 May 2021

Had booked a table for 5pm for four, my two sons, daughter in law and myself. My son and I arrived early so booked in and found a table outside and ordered a drink. My other son arrived 15 minutes later so we tried to order more drinks but there were no staff in site. After waiting 25 mins I went into the restaurant and asked if we could order drinks. The young waitress came out and took our drink and food orders. We choose to eat here as my daughter in law is celiac and has had a takeaway delivered previously. She explained that she was gluten intolerant and ordered what she had previously had. 20 minutes later and very thirsty as it was a hot day I again went into the restaurant to ask where our drinks were! 10 mins later they arrived and I asked the waitress how long our food was going to be she said I don’t know so asked if she could find out she tutted and rolled her eyes!! A waiter then came out and explained that what my daughter in law had ordered easy gluten free and offered her an alternative which she accepted. The waitress never came back so we waited and waited and waited!! When our food did materialise my daughter in laws kebab was on bread!! She again explained she couldn’t eat it so the guy tried taking it off with his hands at the table!! At this point I wanted to leave but we were all hungry and being that it was bank holiday weekend didn’t think we could go somewhere else without booking. The waiter took her food away as obviously they had to re do the whole meal then when it did come out the rice was missing! By this point my daughter in law was understandably nervous about eating the food so couldn’t enjoy it. After being in lockdown for months we were really disappointed as it spoilt the afternoon terrible experience that cost £80! Disgusting service, no apology for being kept waiting. As a waitress myself I know it can get really busy but they were sufficiently staffed in ratio to customers! Think they all need some customer service training!!

1  Thank Quest585620
Write a reviewReviews (281)

Reviewed 30 May 2021 via mobile

We pre booked our table at 6pm and arrived just before to find it packed to the rafters no doubt as a combination of bank holiday weather and good weather.
Service was slow but we understood that, as i say it was packed. We ordered asking for a combination of mains and starters but specifically that all arrived together. we were dining as a family with 2 kids under 9 so was unsure of how they would fair with the food.
90 mins later we asked where the food was. At that point we were told our order had been lost and asked to reorder and our food would be a priority.
15 mins later some of the starters arrived and also some free drinks with the promise more food was on its way. Kids wolfed this down but no sign of the rest despite food streaming out of the kitchen to other tables.
I went to complain privately (rather than in the middle of the restaurant as i had witnessed others). I was assured our food was coming. 10 minutes later still no more food other than a bowl of chips so asked to settled the bill for what we’d had and we were leaving (kids needs feeding as it was past 8pm at thai stage). At this point the chef (and i’m told he was the owner) started shouting at me that i should be patient as the food was fresh. I pointed out we had been waiting 2 hours and those around us and had been served and left in far less time. Whilst i was stood waiting to pay the owner/chef was still shouting that i be removed from the premises and banned from the place (note i was trying to give them money at this stage) all whilst waiter was still trying to assure me the food was almost ready.
I’ve eaten here a few times before and had several takeaways during lockdown so i know the food is great. The way they handled this mistake though was terrible. I get everyone is rusty after lockdown but hate being lied to and the conduct of the owner/chef was terrible. I’m therefore now at a loss to know i’m banned.

Date of visit: April 2021
2  Thank cboarder
Reviewed 29 May 2021

Wow this was a bad experience! We took our two young sons here for a meal and after 2 hours we were served 2 starters (there were 4 of us). After many promises of more food coming soon we left after 2hrs 15mins. The kids needed feeding and it clearly wasn’t happening. We tried to pay for what we’d had and received verbal abuse from the chef calling us impatient and telling us we’re barred. No problem, we won’t be going again. Recommend others avoid too.

1  Thank U3022QIhelenc
Reviewed 26 May 2021 via mobile

Fantastic ambience, food fantastic, staff so friendly. Wonderful music. Thank you for a nice evening.

Reviewed 20 May 2021 via mobile

Had lunch here today with my brother. We had mixed hot meze to start and a sharing platter for main course. The food was amazing and the portions were huge. All the staff were really friendly and I thought the price was really reasonable. I would highly recommend this place to eat its really lovely.

1  Thank 188penelopem