“The worst evening out in a long time. Shocking in fact.”
Review of Rick Stein

Rick Stein
Ranked #21 of 382 Restaurants in Poole
Price range: US$14 - US$55
Description: With views across the water you can enjoy a casual lunch with classic dishes such as crab salads and moules mariniere, alongside seafood dishes including dover sole meuniere, turbot hollandaise and fruits de mer.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My in-laws had booked this for a big family meal on Easter Saturday this year for eight of us celebrating two birthdays and two wedding anniversaries.

Having booked for 6.30pm, we all arrived ten minutes early and were seated in the lower part of the restaurant while our table was prepared. One member of staff came and took a drink order, then . . . nothing. 6.30 came and went as did 6.45 and then 7.00. Finally at 7.05, I went to ask what was happening with our table and we were finally seated at 7.10, 40 minutes late. It then took until 7.35 for someone to take our order and starters finally began to appear at 8.00.

They were of variable quality. My wife had some steamed scallops which were lovely. I'd opted for grilled sardines which looked like they had only a passing acquaintance with the grill and were not the best I'd ever had - by far. Mains came out over half an hour after starters and despite a good number of staff working the restaurant, the who thing felt shambolic.

My daughter ordered fish and chips and it came with seven, yes seven chips, neatly stacked 'Jenga' style. I ordered hake which was nicely cooked, but as a dish, lacked anything to give it the wow factor. My wife had blonde ray which was served with overcooked broccoli and my son ordered Singapore crab which lacked any real sauce compared to the size of the crab.

There were two young men in suits who looked like they should have been in charge, but seemed to give most of their attention to the football celebrities sitting in the window.

At no point did anyone apologies, acknowledge that there was a delay or that what should have been a two hour meal at most was well over three hours when we finally left. Our server, a young European lady, was very difficult to understand, and was thoroughly miserable the whole night.

I think Mr Stein should take a break from his travels, visit some of the restaurants that are balspheming his name and put his boot up some backsides!

An appaling experience and I won't be returning their any time soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,851)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We ate here on good Friday - booked a table on line about 3 weeks previously, it was available about 10 mins later than planned not really an issue.
Food wasn't too expensive but the wine potentially could be ! We had mussels (good tasty sauce) and crab to start followed by lemon sole & fish curry again both good.
Bar area nice and comfy could be noisy
Found the service good - no issues
Would happily return

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Having tried Rick Stein's in Marlborough, and been a little disappointed, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed my lunch here. The difference being the restaurant in Sandbanks (previously Cafe Shore) is modern, bright and airy - especially upstairs where we ate (the Marlborough building being dark & beamed) and this time, we ate off the set menu rather than a la carte (previously having had the Indonesian Seafood Curry which had been very average).

We both had the grilled sardines for starters followed by the hake – all very tasty. My dessert was the mexican rice pudding which was absolutely divine and my partner had the rhubarb pavlova which he enjoyed. The portions are relatively small, but with a single portion of “thin chips” between us, this 3-course set menu was plenty for us and very satisfying.

Just as an aside, the pavlova is served as a domed meringue with a little twist in the middle and really does look like a lady’s breast in appearance (has nobody mentioned this??) It may put some people off - or maybe not!!

This is not to the standard of the original Rick Stein’s in Padstow but, if you set your expectations somewhat lower and have the set menu - which we think is better value for money - then, along with very good service, you should not be disappointed.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We had the set 3 course lunch menu for £25. To accompany our meal we went for a 500ml carafe of Sauvignon Blanc which went very well with our food choices. If you can get a table upstairs do (we had pre-booked)this gives you an uninterrupted view of Sandbanks and the surrounding harbour . My kids ( 13yr & 12yrs) absolutely loved it and chose from the set menu; though they do have a kids menu. The service was excellent and it was an absolute treat. Fine dining, without the stuffiness. Thank you Rick Stein & co!

1  Thank Monica C
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Have been 3 or 4 times as the lack of unchained restaurants in and around the Bournemouth area is lacking. The setting is beautiful especially if you get a seat looking out to the bay. The menu has not changed and in my opinion lacks fish options, I would say as because this is more of a food factory inside of a restaurant. The staff as per normal were polite but as per usual there were problems as the mains came and no sides, by the time the sides came we had finished our mains. We were not charged for sides. The food was good especially the risotto. This is not a very good restaurant more of good restaurant. By choice I would not go again. It is expensive and it is clean with taste food but the staff always let you down