“Why so early???”

The Channel Restaurant & Wine Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
The Channel Restaurant & Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #46 of 438 Restaurants in Eastbourne
Price range: US$3 - US$28
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Channel Restaurant & Wine Bar is set in a classic Victorian room, at the West Rocks Hotel, Eastbourne, affording glorious views over the sea. The Wine bar and restaurant offers great fresh food and beverages, inspired menus prepared from fresh locally caught fish and the famous steak on the stone locally sourced food and with a selection of wines accompanied by a friendly service. Additionally the tea room offers daily baked cakes, high teas, coffee and beverages. Openings hours : Monday to Thursday 18.00 to 20.30 Friday to Saturday 18.00 to 21.00
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Having had a look at the menu I decided it would be good to book a table as my wife and I were staying in Eastbourne for a couple of days. However firstly there were no tables available on the day we wanted but there were also no tables available on any day after 7:30 which I must admit I found rather strange. For that reason I cannot express my opinion on the food, service, value etc That is the only reason I gave one out of five.

West Rocks Hote... E, Manager at The Channel Restaurant & Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2018

Hi Steve and Lynn
In response to your review I think that a grading of 1 star for not having a table when fully booked is unwarranted when no meals were purchased on consumed.

As I mentioned, we are a highly rated restaurant with a great following who cater for hotel guests and residents and visitors to Eastbourne
Peak time for us is between 19.00-20.30 and we are frequently booked up to a week in advance, hence the offering of a table before 19.30 when we had availability. Our Channel Restaurant has a maximum of 40 covers, so once the tables are booked we physically cannot offer something that is not available.

We do hope that you do come and try us in the future and sample our menu and give us the opportunity to impress you with our service and food.

Many thanks

West Rocks Team

Reviewed 15 February 2018

The food was fantastic and the staff were excellent.

Loved the steak on the lava stone. Very good steak as well as adding some fun to the meal.

All the staff were very lovely and helpful.

Reviewed 11 November 2017 via mobile

I met friends for dinner as I was staying in the hotel above.
I had the best ribeye steak of my life! Serving it on a hot stone meant it was cooked just as I like it, the chips and sweet potato frites were perfect too.
One friend had salmon on the stone, which was perfect for him as he’s ever so fussy about getting it just cooked.
Great wine selection, knowledgeable staff.
I’ll be back.

Reviewed 27 September 2017

My wife and I visited the channel Restaurant & Wine Bar for our Anniversary first impressions felt the wine bar looked a little tired and there was no Greeting from the Bar staff but decided to go and be seated. Tried seating us near the Window which felt a little crowded so asked for another table. The Wine and Drinks were Reasonable and the Service was good.My Wife ordered The Sea bass and tasted lovely I ordered the steak I felt disappointed you can't beat a steak Char grilled this just seemed to boil the the steak on the stone and anything else was extra.The desserts were were letdown I ordered the Cheesecake tasted dry and half frozen very poor for £6.75.On leaving the Bar staff Didn't even say Goodnight !

1  Thank longrange69
Reviewed 28 August 2017

Based within the West Rocks hotel, this was a quiet bar room where you can sit and watch the world go by.

The service is covered by staff looking after the restaurant and reception of the hotel itself so you needed to go and get someone if you wanted to be served.

On the evening we came to the bar, there were no ciders so I settled for an expensive small bottle of coke for a cool £2.20 or so.

I've read the food is amazing but on this visit, it was drinks only.

1  Thank Chris_Jaggs