“Sublime musical experience”

and up
Vienna Mozart Concert at the Musikverein
Ranked #56 of 767 things to do in Vienna
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I attended the Easter sunday concert by the Vienna symphony orchestra and it was a really divine experience. The hall itself is a work of art with gorgeous interiors and great acoustics. It's really hard to express such an experience in words but if you're a aficionado of western classical music, you should definitely try to attend a concert here.
In order to avoid getting ripped off by spurious agents, book your tickets from the official website which also has a very handy 3D seating visualizer that will allow you to choose your seats wisely. I was seated on the first row on the balcony and had a great view. Although there is no dress code explicitly enforced, most of the people had turned up in formal/smart-casual wear. I am slightly envious of the Viennese people who have the opportunity to listen to such great music at their fingertips.

All reviews
"classical music"
in 63 reviews
"golden room"
in 12 reviews
"dressed in period costume"
in 13 reviews
in 6 reviews
"box office"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We had read quite a few varied reviews and so were cautious when purchasing tickets.

The website is quite good in providing a layout of the seats and displays a visual map while purchasing.

We opted for the 58 Euro seats, which were located on the first floor, towards the back in the second row seating as the price for the front row rose considerably.

In the end it turned out to be quite a good choice. Although the seating for everyone seemed quite cramped, the view of the orchestra, although a little restricted, was ok. Most people dressed formally, but this wasn’t a requirement. The hall did get quite hot during the performance though.

The orchestra was terrific and the sound fine, but I didn’t find it he acoustics particularly special.

There was an interval were it was possible to buy drinks and snacks, all sold at reasonable prices.

Reviewed February 10, 2018 via mobile

I have been to many theaters in few countries. This one is fine. The singers were ok, not very professional but still not beginners. The music was good, all famous Mozart’s pieces were played. You could feel that musicians have many years of experience and played these pieces many times. The place was full and I could see that some people say next to us but payed much less for their tickets somehow. We paid 105 euro per ticket and they paid only 50 euro. I was not so happy about it but we all have our ways. I enjoyed this night despite the long waiting’s in the Häll and high price.

Reviewed February 10, 2018

Easily considered one of the world’s most important buildings for the classical genre, Musikverein wasn’t just at the top of my list of attractions in Vienna but actually my first stop after checking in to my hotel. The building traces its roots back to its 1870 (!) inauguration and has survived the usual wars and political upheaval over the past 140 years. It consists of the Golden Hall and Brahms Hall; the former is the famous main hall that holds the New Years concert and the latter entertains smaller chamber ensembles. There are also four smaller rehearsal halls that were added after the turn of the millennium.

I visited the premises three times during my week in Vienna. The first was a concert by the Vienna Symphony on a Sunday night in the Golden Hall, consisting of a piece by Giancinto Scelsi and a superb rendition of Bruckner’s 9th Symphony. This was followed by a formal small-group tour later in the week that lasted approximately an hour. We learned about the history of the building and musicians that had passed through its doors while touring the two main concert halls and a smaller practice room (I believe it was the Stone Hall). There was an excellent description of the acoustics in the Golden Hall that I can still recall two weeks later. My final visit was later that day to hear a small chamber orchestra play pieces by Hadyn and Mozart in the Brahms Hall.

In summary, this is a world-famous venue for classical music that is geared towards providing an exceptional experience for anyone passing through its doors. The customer service (seating, ticketing, intermission service, etc.) during the two concerts was excellent. Although I have minimal (read: none) musical ability I have seen quite a few different venues around the world and the offerings here are above more varied than most. The tour in particular was quite illuminating and packed quite a bit of information into a small space (temporally and physically). The acoustics in the Golden Hall were superb and in my mind rival only those in the Concertgebouw.

For those with a true passion for classical music the Musikverein provides a deep pool in which to dive. Visitors with a more moderate interest can still make a visit “just” to the Golden Hall for a concert and hear some magnificent acoustics from elite musicians. Most of us in between can pick and choose a variety of experiences at our leisure. A highly recommended experience while in Vienna.

2  Thank midway42