“The birthplace of Wolfgang Mozart”

Mozart's Birthplace
Book In Advance
Ranked #45 of 203 things to do in Salzburg
More attraction details
Owner description: The birthplace of the famous composer displays numerous musical artifacts from his early childhood.
Reviewed 4 April 2018

I’m not a Mozart classical music fan, but if you are in Salzburg you probably should take the opportunity to visit one of the two museums dedicated to Salzburg’s most famous son. Today, the former Mozart family home contains a small museum where Mozart’s childhood violin, harpsichord, and many other documents (including early written music) are on display. Wolfgang, (I love that name) was the seventh child of Leopold Mozart, who was a musician in the Salzburg Royal Chamber. From 1747–1773 the Mozart family lived on the third floor of this house. After being largely destroyed during World War II, the building was reconstructed according to its original plans and was re-opened to the public in 1996. Visiting the birthplace (house) of Mozart has apparently become something of a Mecca for true fans. Over 40 years ago, I suggested to my wife that we name our first son “Wolfgang” after the Olympic pole vaulter Wolfgang Reinhardt of whom I was a big fan. Although my wife had some German/Austrian lineage, she said “No”. Well, actually, it was “Hell, no”.

3  Thank CPaM68
Write a ReviewReviews (2,654)
All reviews
in 50 reviews
"wolfgang amadeus mozart"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed 3 April 2018

I LOVE Mozart's music, and I find his biography to be absolutely fascinating. Nothing was going to prevent me going in. The house fulfilled my every expectation, and more.

BUT ... I confess that there was a lot here than made me very grumpy. There are a lot of stairs with no elevator relief. The floors are very uneven and in the attempt to backtrack to find something I had missed out seeing, I took a nasty fall by putting my foot into a gap in the floor boards. The flow is one-way and a bit cramped. And, as always, I wish I could have taken photos.

So, understand it isn't a furnished house. Still, so many of the artifacts that you've come to love seeing associated with Mozart are there. A good number of the portraits (solo and family) and paintings, his little violin, some letters, a handful of personal items. On the lower floor -- you start at the top and work down -- there is a splendid collection of set and costume designs for the operas. I suppose it isn't an extensive collection, but it is all about Mozart and it is largely iconic!

If you haven't lived and loved Mozart, this collection may not have a lot of meaning. If stairs are an issue, you may have to make some decisions about viewing the collection. But, gee whiz, you're in Salzburg! You've seen the Mozart rubber-duckies. You've probably consumed a fair few Mozart Kugeln. Why not give this nod to Salzburg's favoured son? In my opinion, better to do it here that at the Wohnhaus.

1  Thank SyrinxSounds
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Don't pay. Walk by it and that is enough to satisfy the need to say you saw Mozart's birthplace.

It is a "house."

Take a picture and see his statue.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

If you're really interested in Mozart I would recommend going to the Mozart Residence, I visited both during my recent stay and they pretty much have the same background and information. Although Mozart's Birthplace did have some quirky belongings of Mozart, like two strands of his hair, I would still recommend the residence since it has a neat interactive ending to the tour and its a bit more in depth with its history and information.