Book In Advance

from US$105.00
from US$96.82
from US$175.72
2,957 results
All reviews his life early life salzburg card yellow building personal items mozart family mozart fans great composer love mozart early years musical genius classical music small museum on display wolfgang amadeus mozart interesting place worth a visit
Reviewed 3 April 2018

I LOVE Mozart's music, and I find his biography to be absolutely fascinating. Nothing was going to prevent me going in. The house fulfilled my every expectation, and more.

BUT ... I confess that there was a lot here than made me very grumpy. There are a lot of stairs with no elevator relief. The floors are very uneven and in the attempt to backtrack to find something I had missed out seeing, I took a nasty fall by putting my foot into a gap in the floor boards. The flow is one-way and a bit cramped. And, as always, I wish I could have taken photos.

So, understand it isn't a furnished house. Still, so many of the artifacts that you've come to love seeing associated with Mozart are there. A good number of the portraits (solo and family) and paintings, his little violin, some letters, a handful of personal items. On the lower floor -- you start at the top and work down -- there is a splendid collection of set and costume designs for the operas. I suppose it isn't an extensive collection, but it is all about Mozart and it is largely iconic!

If you haven't lived and loved Mozart, this collection may not have a lot of meaning. If stairs are an issue, you may have to make some decisions about viewing the collection. But, gee whiz, you're in Salzburg! You've seen the Mozart rubber-duckies. You've probably consumed a fair few Mozart Kugeln. Why not give this nod to Salzburg's favoured son? In my opinion, better to do it here that at the Wohnhaus.

Date of experience: May 2017
1  Thank SyrinxSounds
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Don't pay. Walk by it and that is enough to satisfy the need to say you saw Mozart's birthplace.

It is a "house."

Take a picture and see his statue.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

If you're really interested in Mozart I would recommend going to the Mozart Residence, I visited both during my recent stay and they pretty much have the same background and information. Although Mozart's Birthplace did have some quirky belongings of Mozart, like two strands of his hair, I would still recommend the residence since it has a neat interactive ending to the tour and its a bit more in depth with its history and information.

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

Loved the tour and also the gift shop. The headset tour was a little lengthy for me but worthwhile. I was able to pick and choose what I wanted to listen to.

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

A few interesting letters written to his wife, a birth room that had one contemplating the difficult times of that period, amid concise accommodation. Not much else.