“Great hike off the beaten tracks”
Review of Reykjavik Hiking

Reykjavik Hiking
Ranked #135 of 279 Outdoor Activities in Reykjavik
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Reykjavik Hiking offers two main tours, the Reykjavik city mountain tour up the mt. Esja and the Volcano tour. Both tours are easily accessible from Reykjavik. The mountain tour is more demanding and the volcano tour is an easy walk. The Reykjavik Hiking bus will pick you up at your hotel and a 30 minute drive will take you to the start of either hikes. 3 hour hikes.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We had a great time on a sunny day hiking into a vulcano. Our guide was really knowledgable and explained a lot about the geology of Iceland. The scenery was breathtaking. The hike is close to Reykjavik but without any tourists. Great experience!

All reviews
"guide"
in 9 reviews
"tours"

Reviewed August 15, 2017

My best friend and I spent a week in Iceland exploring Reykjavik, the Golden Circle, and the Southern Coastline. I am a corporate event manager so I do rigorous research before I book any tours like I would with my VIP clients. I found Reykjavik Hiking after looking though several websites, and we booked the tour for our first day in Iceland. It was an incredible experience, our guide was very knowledgeable about the area, the history and geography, she knew so much about what we were seeing and doing. My bestie and I had a blast! It set the bar for the rest of the trip, and it was probably still our best experience. I highly recommend Reykjavik Hiking over larger tour companies as we received incredible small group treatment (it was just my friend and I and our guide). It was very comfortable- not a large group with 8 other strangers. If you are looking for stunning views and good company, book with Reykjavik Hiking!!

1  Thank Kelly R
Reviewed December 27, 2016

This was a great find and the highlight of my trip to Iceland. Our guide was extremely well informed and great company. She was prepared to answer all our questions and gave us a great tip of a local swimming pool close to our hotel. The hike was suitable to all levels and experience. Highly recommended.

1  Thank griff12
Reviewed October 29, 2016

Booked the volcano hike for a very last minute holiday and couldn't have asked for a better experience. We were picked up at our hostel and taken to the location where we received plenty of information about the area and were shown some amazing sights. the walk was not troubling at all, even though it was very windy, and we got back into town with plenty of daylight to waste and still feeling fulfilled with the trip. My phone was even returned to me after i left it in the car! I couldn't recommend this more!

1  Thank Nyle P
See more reviews
Reviewed September 4, 2016

After a week traveling Iceland, we had one last day without a set agenda. We knew that we wanted to spend at least part of our last day on a hike, so we booked a last-minute volcano hike with Reykjavik Hiking. We could not have made a better choice!

Auður, the owner of Reykjavik Hiking, picked us up at our hotel and took us on a short 30 minute drive to a trailhead. We spent about three hours on an easy (slightly less than five mile) hike through a stunning volcanic valley.

The name Reykjavik "Hiking" may be a bit misleading - in a very good way! The hike is not difficult, and could have been completed in less than two hours. What makes the experience so wonderful (besides the scenery) is Auður's knowledge of Iceland's geology, history, flora and fauna. It was clear that she had very carefully selected the hike in order to best show off Iceland's geological history. Auður explained in detail how the volcanic valley formed, and provided us with in-depth answers to our (many) questions. We left the hike with a much better understanding of volcanos and the formation of Iceland than we had gathered over the course of the entire week.

In addition to geology, we learned about Iceland's native plants, tasted wild berries, and picked wild mushrooms!

This review would be incomplete without mentioning how kind Auður is. Besides being incredibly knowledgable, she was entertaining and engaging. It felt like we were on a hike with someone we had known for years.

Book a hike - you won't regret it!

2  Thank Robert-in-CA