Review Highlights
AN ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS ICELAND ADVENTURE

Villi is absolutely fantastic! Took my sons to bond and experience the Icelandic world. It was... read more

Reviewed 12 December 2019
wildebilly
via mobile
SIMPLY A GREAT TIME

This was the second time having Villi guide me in Iceland. This time we stayed at the Lava Lodge... read more

Reviewed 9 December 2019
211demianr

All reviews lava lodge an amazing tour guide day trip hot springs northern lights amazing experience itinerary brennivin glacier tubes knowledge capture scenery
Selected filters
Reviewed 29 June 2018 via mobile

We just completed a week of travel in Iceland with Villi of IceXTravel. He planned our itinerary perfectly, after listening to our wants and needs. We are four women who have known each other all our lives, and we were celebrating our 60th year together!
We climbed a glacier, hiked into a lava cave and trekked through (inside!) a glacier. I think all four of us would concur that our favorite part was the Heart of Iceland portion where Villi and his wife welcomed us to their country bed and breakfast (Icelandic dinner included!) We loved the outdoor hot tub, the amazing smoked trout appetizers and the leg of lamb dinner with delicious fresh salad and sweet potato side. The dessert was too good to avoid. The champagne and wine - over the top. So fun!!! Strongly recommend Villi and especially his Heart of Iceland tour!

Date of experience: June 2018
Reviewed 29 June 2018

I recently had the good fortune to get to know a little of Iceland with Vilhjalmur (Villi) Godi Fridriksson of IcexTravel. The company came with great recommendations and I am happy to add my name to the list of IcexTavel fans. The company crafted an itinerary in response to our interests and arranged to show us a lot of Iceland—its glaciers, volcanoes, waterfalls, thermal pools, beaches, history, and wonderful restaurants--during our brief visit. We added the "Heart of Iceland tour" to our private trip and loved staying at the lava lodge, which feels authentic and has brand-new, smartly appointed mini-cabin rooms, an outdoor hot tub, a lovely view, a turntable, and a collection of great 1960s & 1970s music. Villi is very professional, knowledgeable, and adaptable—as well as kind and funny. He and his wife, Sigrún, took great care of us and we enjoyed a delicious gourmet dinner and breakfast at the Lava Lodge. While we were awed by Iceland’s other-worldly landscapes and enjoyed some great adventures, the Heart of Iceland tour and staying at the Lava Lodge were our favorite parts of the trip. Seeing Iceland with Villi is a memory that will always make me smile!

Date of experience: June 2018
1  Thank D M
Reviewed 30 May 2018 via mobile

We contemplated a family vacation to Iceland and really wanted someone to plan it out. Friends of ours used Villi and suggested that we contact him. We are so glad we did. He planned a full itinerary hitting some highlights mixed in with some of his personal favorites. It was the best trip ever.

Villi is fun, knowledgeable and friendly. He made each excursion special and made some additional stops along the way. My wife is a huge fan of the Housewives show and he took us to the hotel they stayed at and got access to some of the suites.

While the weather was not pristine our time, we didn't miss out on anything that Iceland has to offer. I highly recommend him. You will not regret it.

Date of experience: May 2018
Reviewed 30 March 2018

All the rest of the reviews are absolutely spot on.

Villi and his company came to us highly recommended by a friend who had worked with him on corporate experiences. As a disgruntled and grizzled NYer who works with clients and service industries all day long, I have a really high set of expectations and am not easily impressed (and the same could be said for my entire group). From planning to execution, there was really nothing more that I could have asked for from IceXTravel. Villi is astoundingly competent and knowledgable. Other friends have visited Iceland and warned me of several things (crowds, food, scarcity of options) but being with Villi, the wealth of information of a lifelong local made all the difference. Even when we faced 50 MPH winds on a long drive back to Reykjavik, knowing that he was keeping us safe was a huge relief for all of us. He also tailored the experience for us perfectly- we told him what we wanted, and while he can also do the 100-person trips with helicopters and ATVs and crazy excursions, what he delivered for us was exactly what we asked for: Iceland away from the crowds, with a deep appreciation of nature and the landscape, easy-going pace with plenty of time to enjoy the trip. We had memories of a lifetime.

Villi is also a phenomenal human being. He was our trip "dad" and we wanted for absolutely nothing. His enthusiasm for Iceland, for nature, for explaining and answering all our questions, was genuine and he is just incredibly kind and thoughtful. We only did a couple of guided excursions, but the quality of the teams that we worked with on those small experiences was top-notch; there is a huge influx of tour companies that frankly do not know what they are doing but we had the most professional guides with loads of experience... and it was clear that IceXTravel has built relationships with them over the years and knew which operators to avoid. He also was unfailingly considerate: he let us know as soon as he saw northern lights activity start (which we honestly would have missed because they were so faint and we didn't know what to look for), he rerouted around the crowded spots and found us super tasty food options every day, he was a wealth of knowledge about everything Iceland and kept us entertained for many hours in the van with stories and information and jokes. I've worked with travel agents before, but never had a travel guide on hand for everything and now I'm not sure I can go back!

I have recommended IceXTravel to absolutely everyone in my friend network. It's not often that I go above and beyond to make sure that people know about a service provider, but I truly do believe that using Villi's team makes the difference between a great trip and an exceptional one.

We will be back, and we will work with Vili when we return.

Date of experience: March 2018
Reviewed 23 December 2017

First, let me start by saying I have been on many trips with Villi G! His level of excitement, humor and knowledge are only the first that come top of mind! If you give him a chance to show you one of the most beautiful places in the world, he will truly make it an unforgettable experience!

Date of experience: August 2017