Wilderness Hotel Inari
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Kieppi(Saariselka)
View Hotel
All reviewslog cabineach mealwhole weekhard workbuffet stylein decemberhooks to hangice fishinghusky safarirecommend this hoteldog sleddingreindeer farmsalmonone nightnorthern lightsprivate saunafrozen lake
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We recently stayed as a family of 3 (all adults) for 4nights in a log cabin, with the Aurora Highlights package. I cannot say enough nice things about this hotel
The staff - From Mishka at checkin , Petri on the snowmobile, Hannah on the snowshoe trek and Enna( I think ) on the aurora hunt by car and all others in the restaurant ,bar and excursions were friendly helpful and knowledgeable .
The food although not the most extensive in range was delicious, local, innovative and plentiful.
The log cabin was huge and so welcoming with a beautiful fireplace, comfortable beds and your own private sauna.
We wished we could have stayed longer and would love to return.
The outdoor clothing provided for excursions is well received and layering is still a must underneath. It is as u would expect cold, hence its beauty.
Only con was no towel hooks or rails in the bathroom.
We all would Definitely recommend this fabulous hotel.

Room Tip: Log cabins are spacious, warm and very comfortable.
Stayed: March 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Recently got back from this fabulous holiday.

We've had a great experience, from beginning to end. Booked through Aurora Zone who made it extremely easy and meant we didn't have to book everything separately. Very efficient and informative.

The hotel itself is fabulous. Really welcoming reception with a lovely, polite team greeting you as soon as you arrive. We pretty much immediately had a welcome meeting which was very helpful and meant we knew everything that was coming up for our stay.

The reception, lounge and dining area are absolutely gorgeous. Huge windows looking over the lake and loads of places to sit and read or talk to your new friends. It didn't feel like you were forced to 'make friends' with other guests though - it's very easy to keep to yourself if you prefer. We did make some friends but still ate at our own table for each meal.

The food was delicious. Buffet style, which I prefer anyway, but still very good quality. I tried everything on offer and all of it was fantastic. Hats off to the chefs! The reviews I read before going said that the food wasn't up to much, but they're wrong. I can't imagine what those reviewers were actually expecting! Plenty of food and always hot, no matter what time you go. Breakfast and lunch were great too. The waffle machine if a perfect addition! I ate so much that I was grateful for all the activities to pretend that I might burn the calories off! Be aware that drinks are expensive - 38euros for one of the cheapest bottles of wine. But it wasn't bad wine! Just pricey considering what you'd spend in the UK. Good choice of drinks and beer. They do have price lists - just ask. The supermarket sell beers but not wine for some reason. We took a couple of bottles for our cabin that we bought at the airport - top tip!

Breakfast was 8 until 10 (perfect) and dinner was 6 until 8.

We spent most of our 4 days with Nora as our guide. She is such a fantastic representative for the hotel. Really insightful and funny. I could've happily spent all day talking and laughing with her. In fact, all of the staff were lovely and very personable. Nothing seemed too much trouble.

We stayed in a log cabin which I would definitely recommend. It was huge. Also, it was really really warm in there! The heated flooring was great - we just left our damp clothes (from the snow) on the floor when we got back so they would dry off, which they did extremely quickly. The sauna in the cabin could seat 6 easily and there was only 2 of us! The only thing I would change is the direction that the sofa points (we did a little furniture rearranging!). It was facing the large TV instead of the stunning, huge window which looked over the lake. We swiveled it round and spent most evenings with all the lights off staring over the lake. It was out of this world. Who watches TV anyway on a trip like this?! We did turn it on but only to see what the channel options were - there were 3 and only 1 in English. But, again, that's not why you go to this hotel!

We had a little sneaky peek in an aurora cabin (igloo?) and that was very cool. But they're quite a bit smaller than the log cabin so I'd still book that over the igloo. Plus you get huge windows in the cabin, so it's not like you miss much. You do get privacy in the aurora cabin, in case anyone was worried about that! People can't look in.

Our activities started somewhere between 9.30 and 11am depending on what we were doing, which was really great as you don't have to get up too early. Evening aurora hunts started at 9pm.

I 100% recommend the dog sledding - the huskies are fantastic! Noisy but adorable. The reindeer farm was a nice visit and we learned a bit about the Sami culture which was interesting. I was not looking forward to the 4hr snowshoe trek as I'm not very fit, but that was actually one of the best activities! Again, Nora was our guide which made it fun. It didn't feel like 4hrs and there's quite a long stop for lunch around the fire. I recommend doing it, definitely. Ice fishing was ok ... taking the snowmobiles out on the lake was really fun and drilling the hole in the ice was entertaining, but I'm not sure anyone has caught anything in a long time and it got a bit dull quite quickly.

We borrowed some cross country skis from the hotel and headed across the lake to the village on our last day. It's further than you think! That was hard work, but we certainly earned our pint at the pub. There's a supermarket in Inari and a massive (impressive!) souvenir shop, as well as the pub. We got a taxi back to the hotel for about 12euros. Walking, it's about 45 mins one way to / from the village. An easy, flat walk.

All of the clothing and equipment that you borrow it top notch. When you arrive, you're fitted out with big, warm, sturdy boots, thick (bright orange!) mittens that fit over your normal gloves, a balaclava (you will need it for anything that goes 'at speed'), thick socks (if you want them) and a waterproof boiler suit which keeps you really warm. As it's a new hotel, the equipment is brand new and very good. I only felt cold a couple of times when we were looking at the northern lights - it got to -23C one night. I recommend taking some hand warmers just in case.

Finally, we were so lucky to see the Northern Lights 2 out of 4 nights. They were stunning. I'm so glad we saw them, but you will have a really great trip even if you don't. I can't recommend this hotel or the trip enough.

Room Tip: Log cabin is the best!
  • Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Had a fabulous stay at the Wilderness Hotel Inari and cannot recommend it highly enough. A fabulous location on the lakeside. Friendly, helpful staff, great rooms - warm and spacious and varied, delicious food. The bar is very cosy with lots of sofas and a huge log fire. The views of the lake from the dining/lounge area are stunning.
The activities are well organised and really enjoyable. Dog sledding along a frozen river and snow mobiling across an ice bound lake are brilliant ways to explore this pristine wilderness. The thermal suits provided by the hotel are very effective. And just to make the holiday perfect the aurora made a spectacular appearance. Amazing.

Stayed: March 2018, traveled with friends
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

First of all the location of the hotel: convenient, 40 minutes from Ivalo Airport; wild and peaceful environment. I chose the basic room which is spacious and well designed with very comfortable bed. I took the 4 nights package and I was very pleased as all the activities were greatly organised with professional and friendly guides. I was lucky as 2 out of 4 nights I saw Northern lights, a stunning experience. Lastly staff at the reception or restaurants are very helpful and friendly and the food is great with only fresh products. I definitely recommend this hotel and I think March is a good period to visit Lapland.

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 15, 2018

The Wilderness Inari hotel has everything to become an outstanding lodging option in Northern Lapland. Friendly and knowledgable staff, great location, superb rooms (the log cabins being way better than very good), a large list of activities. But almost everything feels, looks or smells like a yet unfinished construction site. Equipment like lights not yet installed, activity providers not 100% up to standards like at other places in Lapland, guest friendly stuff like northern light alarms or cold weather gear only against fee (which is not usual), housekeeping only every other day... in short, a new hotel with improvement potential to be a great destination come next winter

• Stayed: February 2018, traveled as a couple