“No wonder there was no one else”
Review of Basta

Basta
Ranked #500 of 952 Restaurants in Ghent
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My friend and I went here for lunch one day of our vacation and enjoyed the food so we decided to go back the last day of our trip. The manager was the only reason we walked out and didn't eat there again. He was very blatantly rude. He had a very loud angry phone conversation while we looked at the menu. He told us that he could not split the bill or let us pay with card less than 50 euro but not in the kind, I'm sorry way. We also couldn't order tap water (they let us the day the manager wasn't there). He said it must have been the "little girl" that served us wrong. He was a real jerk to say the least. He acted like he didn't care for our business, like he was better than us, and had better places to be. I would not give my money to this place so we left. No wonder we were the only people in the restaurant.

Reviewed January 21, 2018

The restaurant looks very nice from the outside and a man who I believe to be the manager or the owner, was polite when we walked in.

The waitress however ruins it a bit from there on. We asked her about the quality of the beef on lava stone and she answered us: "I don't know, I'm a vegetarian"...

Then we requested a recommandation between two types of red wine and she answered us: "I don't know, I don't drink"...

I had the Boeuf Bourgignon and it was super tasty and more than enough. The wine was very good (apparently we got lucky enough to chose the correct one :) )

But the athmosphere ruins it all. The owner who was polite was sitting there with his friends and then after a few shady types came in as well causing a really strange feeling to it all.

So all by all good food but bad experience.

Reviewed November 14, 2017 via mobile

Nice looking restaurant, initial thoughts on girl serving was she was quite miserable and unwelcoming. I ordered chicken on lava stone with baked potato and salad. What I got was a cold baked potato and raw chicken breasts on a hot stone. I’ve never seen chicken served raw “for you to cook yourself” anywhere. I asked them to take it back and cook it, they seemed oblivious to the cross contamination dangers of raw chicken.
Meal was lovely once cooked and we were not charged for mine. However I am unsure whether this is because I returned it or due to the shard of plastic I found in my meal.
Wouldn’t go back

Reviewed October 13, 2017

After walking around the city all day we needed somewhere close to the hotel to eat so chose the Basta as it looked nice and clean.
The interior is very pleasant and the food was ok, the manager was also very pleasant, but our waitress had a strange manner and was unable to smile, perhaps she had a bad day.
Just OK

Reviewed October 3, 2017

I was having a tour of Belgium by myself and once in Gent I decided to have dinner next to my hostel, so I chose this restaurant. The restaurant was really nice and the waitress was polite. But when I specified that I was alone, the owner said I couldn't eat there even if there were a lot of empty tables. He was rude and treated me very bad, it was an horrible experience.