All reviews ironing board and iron underground parking business hotel separate toilet top floor great hotel swimming pool coffee maker walk in shower spacious room pleasant stay one night taxi bathrobes bathtub motorway bed
Reviewed 22 March 2018

Alright, my review is twofold - massive plus points for the hotel but one waitress put a dampner on my stay. Checking in, the staff are very friendly, extremely efficient and helpful.The rooms are gorgeous, nicely decorated, spacious and clean. When I travel (mostly for business) I like to relax in the room with a cup of tea and a book versus sitting in a bar/reception for long periods of time. These rooms are comfortable and easy to unwind in. Conference facilities are great too - staff are very organised and finger food is delicious. I stayed for two nights and had 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches (at conference) and 2 dinners - all were very nice and presented well. The only negatives on the room is that 1) I ended up with two single duvets on a double bed. I know you push two single beds together but if you invested in King duvets for those occasions, it would maximise comfort for the lonely traveller and 2) even though there is a "green" initiative when it comes to reusing towels, my towels were swapped out for new ones when i hung them for reuse. Not major issues in themselves, just pet peeves really and didn't take away from the experience of the stay.
What did take away from my stay and why I docked 1 star from my review (after debating taking 2 away) is one of your waitresses attitudes during my first evening at the hotel. After a long two days travelling to and fro my airplane and train a long workday I arrived during Monday evening and, since I'm on my own, decided to use the Lounge for dinner instead of the restaurant. I ordered a Quinoa burger and was met with disbelief at my pronunciation of the word Quinoa . The waitress walked to the bartender to process my order and immediately began making fun of the way I pronounced it (Ki-Nwah). This made me extremely uncomfortable... and stupid. After my meal was cleared, I was pretty much ignored then, and when I wanted to get another glass of wine I walked to the waitress to request it. She dismissed me telling me to order at the bar (as she was standing at the waitress stand just outside the door). The bartender had just stepped away from the bar so she very reluctantly took my order. The next evening I went into the lounge again for dinner but noticed this waitress was working so I instead changed for the restaurant as I didn't want to deal with this bad attitude again. No one should be made feel that way and as it happens, the following night (as I moved cities again) I got 100 times better service at a Holiday Inn Express!
Overall the experience was good at the hotel and I really did enjoy most of my stay, your waitress just needs an attitude check.
AND if that waitress does read this the dictionary quotes this as the phonetics: "quinoa /ˈkiːnwɑː/" not ki-noh-ah so maybe some education is required before you belittle people for mispronouncing a word that you have no idea how to pronounce yourself.

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled on business
Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

Convenietly located, but outside of the city center, close to the highway A12 and midst of the business area.

Rooms are roomy and comfy and the bathroom is decent, but missing a bit of coziness.

Very nice gym and pool on the top floor with an amazing view. Restaurants and bar are pretty good, just as the F&B.

Stayed: March 2018, traveled on business
Reviewed 4 March 2018

This hotel is a bit outside Utrecht centre but is a fine business hotel. There is a very good restaurant in the hotel and the bar is also comfortable and relaxed. Rooms on the highway side are a bit loud so ask for the opposite side. Rooms have all the usual amenities and cost is reasonable. Taxi from Utrecht Centraal will cost about 20 EUR.

Stayed: February 2018
Reviewed 21 February 2018

This is a new hotel located on the outskirts of Utrecht. Taxi to the train station is about 15 euros and a train to Amsterdam takes around 30 minutes.

The rooms are superb, if you can stretch to it book one of the suites, ours had a hot tub & sauna in the bathroom as well as a separate lounge.

There is a sky bar on the 20th floor as well as a swimming pool with great views of the local area.

A great hotel.

Stayed: February 2018
Reviewed 29 January 2018

I stayed in the hotel for business in January 2018 for 3 nights. The entrance is modern, the service very friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and offer enough space, adequate for a hotel of this price category. The restaurant was very good for the price range, and we did not see the need to dine anywhere else. The fitness area is small but offered the opportunity to complete my routine. I visited the bar on the ground floor which is nice, but unfortunately they do not serve cocktails. The bar on the upper floor offers a magnificent view, but was closed due to a booking. Also, unfortunately the minibar is not filled (except for 2 small bottles of water). All in all a good business hotel for a reasonable price, if you do not need to be in the city center.

Room Tip: Take the luxurious room instead of the comfort room: it offers more space for only a slightly higher price.
  • Stayed: January 2018, traveled on business
Rachel H, Manager at Van der Valk Hotel Utrecht, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2018

Dear FlyingD77,

Thank you very much for your positive review.

We definitely believe future guests will value the information shared in your review. Besides this we really like to see that you enjoyed the comfort and service we offer during your stay with us.

Your feedback regarding the cocktails in our bar on the groundfloor we will definitely share with the management team. Regarding the minibar package, did you know we sell minibar packages at the front desk for € 12,50? This package can fill up your minibar completely if you would like to have some extra cold drinks and snacks in your room. Our Skybar is indeed not opened regularly, this bar is only opened during private events.

Your compliments and feedback given in your review will definitely be discussed with our management team and we really do hope we can welcome you again in the future.

Kind regards,