“Helpful and Tolerant”

Stoked Ski and Snowboard School
Ranked #2 of 27 Nature & Parks in Zermatt
More attraction details
Owner description: Stoked was founded in 1994 as a snowboard school in Zermatt, Switzerland, and it has been growing ever since. Today, we offer 4 “Stoked Worlds” to our customers including: Skiing, Snowboarding, Bootfitting & Biomechanics, and Stoked Experience, the Zermatt event agency. The company is owned by three Swiss partners and brothers: Christian Meier, Jurg Meier, Michael Meier, all of whom have spent the past few years putting all their motivation, commitment, competence and idealism into making Stoked an important player on the Zermatt holiday scene. In our Stoked World we have also made it our goal to provide the most consistent, flexible customer-orientated services possible.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We brought my son's boots from home, but upon arriving in Zermatt and a painful first day of skiing, it was clear that his boots were too small.

Martin, the boot fitter, tried to stretch the boot toe box as much as he could, but alas, they were still too small.

We headed down to the rental department where the staff was adeptly managing multiple families looking to rent ski equipment. Despite the perceived chaos, they remained composed and firendly.

They helped us find a pair of boots that not only fit, but had the right flex for my ski-racer son.

The Stoked staff's care in helping us ensured that my son's feet were comfortable for the remainder of the ski days and enabled a great trip overall.

Thanks guys!

Marketing-Stoked, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Stoked Ski and Snowboard School, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

We are really happy to read such good feedback. Thank you very much for your kind words. They keep the motivation of our team high.
We hope to see you soon again in Zermatt for more skiing, in comfortable boots :-).
Best wishes from the Swiss Alps

in 25 reviews
"sylvia"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

As far as ski schools go, Stoked is the best one that I have ever come across. The instructors are amazing and they have given me the best weeks of my skiing and snowboarding of my life.

I have been skiing and snowboarding with them for over 6 years now, they somehow always make this amazing experience (of skiing in the best resort in the world) even better.

Marketing-Stoked, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Stoked Ski and Snowboard School, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you so much for your great review and your loyalty! Kind words are always greatly received and keep the motivation of our team high. We are looking forward seeing you next year again. :-)
Best wishes

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I recently booked and had a one to one lesson with Stoked. I had fallen and lost my confidence. The two and half hours were well worth every penny. the instructress, Ira, was excellent and very encouraging. As a result I went on to enjoy the rest of the week and even skied across to Cervina down run 7. I would fully recommend this ski school and will rebook a lesson when I return to Zermatt next season.

Dear Sue
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your time spent with us and of course for selecting Stoked during your recent holiday in Zermatt. We are happy to hear that Ira added so much to your experience and hope to see you soon again for more skiing :-).
Best wishes

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The good: We were running behind and the instructor was understanding and flexible.The office people were very nice. The young guy fitting our family was soooo nice. (the older man on the computer could care less if we were there for 5 minutes or 5 hours. but the younger guy was super quick and running around the whole time.)
The not so perfect: I booked the ski school based on these reviews. Maybe it was the ages of the kids? I had 4 non skiing english speaking kids...ages 6,9,11,14. I decided to stay with the instructor and sit off to the side before i left to ski because i wanted a refresher as well. About an hour in, when my youngest was unable to figure out how to not ski down the small hill, she got in his face and yelled "you are NOT trying." He started crying. He came over to me and said he wanted to quit. She watched the older girls and occasionally offered some help with "french fries" and "pizza" while he sat off to the side. After hour 2, everyone was dying of thirst because it was HOT on the mountain...all had taken off coats. I ran up to get water and when i came back, the instructor said we would take a "short break." after about 10 minutes, they started back up, refreshed and my son wanted to try again. About 10 minutes in, he was crying again and the instructor asked if i minded her going to the bathroom. She left and i started helping my son and my girls. She came back and asked if the kids were done for the day......they didn't want to be done, so she went back out for 10-15 minutes more and then called it a day....we ended the session 10-15 minutes early and rode back up to the top, where she got out of the lift and gave her boyfriend, who was at the top, a kiss and said goodbye to us. I would more call this babysitting versus instructing.....after we parted, we went back down the mountain and i helped teach my son to ski. he ended up going down the bigger slopes just fine. Maybe I needed to just leave them and ski on my own, maybe this is just babysitting for the kids while parents ski?, but the other red jacket instructors were all very hands on and way more "instructing?", maybe i needed to break apart the older kids and hire another instructor for the younger kids?, i'm not sure, but my youngest didn't gel with her personality.
I would suggest anyone taking a lesson to bring water in a backpack with you because if I wasn't sitting nearby my kids would not have lasted 3 hours without water.

Marketing-Stoked, Geschäftsführer at Stoked Ski and Snowboard School, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your time spent with us. We are really sorry that you're not completely satisfied with our services.
Please let us explain the situation:
First of all, it probably would have been better to split the kids and get two instructors since the progress various a lot due to the age difference. It was our fault that we haven't informed you about this in advance. We are sorry for this!
Also, it is normally a lot better for the kids when parents leave and not stay to watch the whole lesson. They get a lot quicker into it and feel more comfortable.
Our experienced and qualified instructor has informed us that your youngest was already whining and upset in the morning, he was not in the mood for skiing. This can of course happen with kids and our instructors always try to motivate the children. Our instructor didn't yell at your youngest, she tried to explain him clearly and repeated her instructions one more time. However, especially when the parents are around, kids often block completely. Also, it can happen that people just don't match and don't get along well.
After your youngest decided to give up our instructor focused on the 3 others and the girls successfully learned the basics of skiing. Which is definitely more than babysitting.
As often with beginners, we do a little break to give the guests a little rest. Would you not have been around, our instructor would have taken care of the water. We look after our guests and take care of them.
Unfortunately it can sometimes happen (but this is nature) that people have to go to the toilet. Normally our instructors do this before or after the lesson and of course our instructor would not have done this if no one would have been around to look after the children.
As you mention in the first sentence: you were running behind. Actually, our instructor had to wait 30minutes for your arrival. Instead of 9am at the top station, you arrived 9.30am at the bottom station. You had booked and paid 3 hours and not a whole day so we don't understand your expression "and then called it a day". Our instructor ended the lesson at 1pm, that means she actually spent 4 hours for you even though the lesson was only 3. So the lesson did definitely not end early.
Once again, we are very sorry for your disappointment and wish you all the best.
The Stoked Management

See more reviews
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I took the beginner special with my partner. This is my first ski lesson but my partner has ski-ed before. Our instructor Ira was great! She was able to deal with us even though we were of different levels. She also helped me overcome my fear. At first I was very stiff and scared especially when going down on slopes. But Ira was great! She gently nudged me and talked to me to calm me down and help me relax a bit. That helped me immensely and enabled me to really experience the joy of skiing. She also took us to the awesome slopes and guided us so that we could ski the steeper areas. At first I didn’t really like skiing because the equipment was so heavy and the ski boots really kill my calves! But after 3 days of skiing lessons, I can safely say that I’ve fallen in love with skiing and would absolutely do it again (hopefully sometime this year). Thank you Stoked and thank you Ira for teaching me the different techniques of skiing!

Marketing-Stoked, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Stoked Ski and Snowboard School, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

We are stoked to read your great feedback and that our ski instructor Ira added so much to your experience!
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your time spent with us and of course for selecting Stoked during your recent holiday in Zermatt. Kind words are always greatly received and keep the motivation of our team high.
We hope to see you soon again!
Best regards and happy Easter