Open today: 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM, 3:00 PM - 7:00 PM

Reviewed 19 December 2020
schmumues
Zurich, Switzerland
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Zermatt
from US$219.70
from US$307.70
from US$294.43
from US$108.32
More Info
All reviews ski guide ski week great guide kids ski school hour private lesson red slopes an amazing experience different levels off piste monte rosa swiss alps skills instructor gianni skiing outfit pace
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 January 2021

Had 3 snowboard lessons with Michael who was great. Progressed really fast and got great value for money. The booking process was easy and reliable. I would definitely recommend Zermatters to anyone looking to get top quality lessons in a really great resort.

Date of experience: January 2021
BeatWaelti, Geschäftsführer at Zermatters, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear JohnnyF933, Thank you very much for your Review. We are very happy about it. We wish you all the best and hope to see you again.

Reviewed 19 December 2020 via mobile

I had a inspiring day with Ulli, who gave a lot of feedback to improve my skills on ski. The say was absolutly money worth

Date of experience: December 2020
1  Thank schmumues
BeatWaelti, Geschäftsführer at Zermatters, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2021

Dear schmumues, thank you very much for your great Review. We are very happy about this! We hope to see you soon again in Zermatt and with the ZERMATTERS. In the meantime, we wish you all the best!

Reviewed 14 December 2020

I was chocked and honestly scared my encounter with one of Zermatters ski guides.

Me and my fiancé decided to ski the the famous off-trail route of "Furgg Gletscher" this weekend, a ski-run easily accessed from the top of Furggsattel chair lift and a ski run and hiking trail we've been skiing and walking many times since 15 years.

As we got down to the end of the glacier there there are two possibilities to ski out. 1) in good conditions you can ski through a river ice-fall (10 meters) 2) or you can walk a few hundred meters up to the Sesselbahn hirli lift. We could see two people further down checking the conditions by the ice fall. Naturally I asked politely one of the men if there was enough snow or too icy. He said he didn't know but that the other man was checking. I asked that man but go no reply. I started skiing down towards the edge and asked again but he still didn't reply me. At this point I realized it might be a guide with his client so I went quiet and passed them both to check the conditions myself.

Before I even got down to the edge, the mountain guide started to scream at me very rudely "I wont call rescue if you hurt yourself! What do you think?? Do you think I walk up again if it is possible to get down?? What do you think??
I tried to calm him an tell him I had all equipment to rappel down but he wouldn't listen. I walked back up to my fiancée again and she was putting her skis on her back pack in order for us to start walking up the other direction.

I stop by my fianceé after being exhausted and wanted to put my skis on my back pack, when the mountain guide started screaming again telling us to move along and not to rest. He was extremely rude and said that we have rested enough and that we were not allowed to stop. My fianceé got really scared of his behaviour and I asked him politely why he was being so rude?

He screamed and claimed that we had follow his tracks down the glacier and into the ice cave they had visited, and that we were ruining the day with his client..
Just to note the readers, We saw their tracks 1 hour before skiing the Furgg glacier, meaning we arrived one hour later. We have both skied this line uncountable times and after 29 years of skiing, I know that I would never follow tracks of people I don't know. We have also visited several of these ice caves both during summer and winter.

The mountain Guide continued to scream at us in a threatening way and I tried to calm him and say we are just to people looking to have a nice day and to please leave us alone. As he continued to push us not to rest and to continue walking up, I asked him if he was an idiot (with bad language) simply due to my reaction of not being allowed to rest.

This was a mistake as he got so upset, screaming at me to take it back and that he was the wrong man to mess with. Both me and my fiancee got the impression something bad would happen if I didn't take it back.
I said "I am sorry and I take it back", but he forced me to say it 3 more times and that he was not the right person to say something like this to.

We continued up even though we wanted to rest, drink and have a snickers...

To sum this up, I have NEVER EVER experienced anything likes this in my life. I have the highest respect for all mountain guides and look up to them for their experience, knowledge and passion for our precious mountains. A lot of my own mountain experience comes from skiing with guides around Chamonix, even though it is little compared to any certified guide. This mountain guide represented nothing of what I see and cherish in any guide. He was not only rude but acted threatening in a high alpine environment with no one around.

We did one last run to ski this line one more time that day, and we had no problem skiing through the ice fall. In my opinion and from what I've learned meeting with a hand full of guides in Switzerland, France and Italy is that it is your own responsibility and the mountain is not limited to him and his private client.
We stopped skiing that day because of the chock of this man. I sincerely hope he does not act like this in the future, it is an absolutely horrible way to regain new business for Zermatters and damages their reputation so much.

I called Zermatters after this and a women picked up the phone who was extremely nice and too her time to listen to the hole story. On behaf of Zermatters she apologized to me.

Date of experience: December 2020
2  Thank 381fredrikl

Dear 381fredrikl, Thank you very much for the detailed feedback about the behavior of one of our mountain guides. I understand your reaction and regret this very much. Our mountain guides are highly trained and have a great experience. They often find themselves in situations where they have to alert guests who are moving in the terrain without a mountain guide to dangers that they do not see in order to avoid accidents. But even in those moments, that warning or request should be made in a reasonable tone. I wish you many more beautiful mountain experiences and all the best.

Reviewed 18 November 2020

Zermatters did a good job! Gianni is a great guide! Very knowledgeable and patient. He took me on a good tour and gave me great advice.

Date of experience: November 2020
BeatWaelti, Geschäftsführer at Zermatters, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2020

Dear BurgessLondon, thank you for your reservation and the great Review about the Tour and your Guide Gianni. We are very pleased about this. We wish you all the best and hope to welcome you soon again in Zermatt. Best Regards, ZERMATTERS

Reviewed 17 November 2020 via mobile

We had a fantastic experience with Andreas as our leader. Andreas is highly competent, pleasant and professional. Our entire family enjoyed a private outing with adrenaline rushes in a beautiful setting. Highly recommend this outing with teenagers - no time for screens!!

Date of experience: November 2020

Dear NoelleA565, thank you very much for your reservation and your Review. We are very happy about this! We wish you and your family all the best and looking forward to welcome you again in Zermatt. Best Regards, ZERMATTERS