The view from the top is possibly the best I've ever enjoyed from a tower - a wonderful combination of Siena"s ancient townscape and the lush rolling Tuscan countryside beyond.
Practicalities on getting to enjoy that are:
- book early in the day at busy tines as they limit the numbers visiting to 25 every 30 mins. By about 1.1.30 the earliest time you could get was about 1pm and I imagine they get fully booked later in the day
- you need to queue to get a ticket from the ticket office in the entrance to the palazzo public (town hall type building) under the tower - it's pretty obvious.
- cost is 10 euro per person but a good value family ticket at 25e. Various combo deals with other attractions available too.
- best to wait around the door to the tower about 5-10 mins before your time as they let you in then to go up to the first landing where you hand tickets in and store stuff in lockers. No advantage in being earlier than that.
- you"re only allowed to take up what you can carry in you pockets plus a camera - without a case or selfie stick. So no bags or handbags. Lockers available free of charge and seem secure.
- climb is 400 steps and fairly cramped in places - worst at the bottom. So a bit hard and sweaty but not awful - fine if you're averagely fit; not great for serious claustrophobes. But at least everyone is going in the same direction.
- feels safe at top and amazing views. You get 15 mins to enjoy them before a tannoy message calls you down
- no obvious loos or cafe or anything
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.