“Verona’s locals come here”

Osteria Il Ciottolo
Ranked #31 of 1,356 Restaurants in Verona
Price range: US$17 - US$40
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The osteria is a few distance from Castelvecchio and the Arena in the heart of Roman Verona , located in front of the palace Canossa on the ancient Via Postumia , now Corso Cavour . The tavern serves traditional Veronese dishes.
Reviewed 15 May 2018

We had a very nice experience and good local Northern Italian cuisine at Osteria is Ciottolo. The restaurant opens for dinner at 7:15 and it’s a good idea to have a reservation as the place filled up quickly on a Monday evening. It seemed to be mostly locals and a few travelers like us that either did their homework or just got lucky.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,459)

Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

I had researched this restaurant, but I was running out of time in Verona. As I walked around Castelvecchio and the beautiful Ponte Scaligero tonight, it got late enough that I decided to stop in as I walked past. I didn't have a reservation, but they seated me, if I could dine within one hour (to accommodate reservations)). They were well organized. Someone came right away to ask if I'd like water. Then the lovely hostess came to to explain the daily specials. She came back momentarily to take my order. I ended up with a local, seasonal specialty: ricotta-filled tortellini with cherry tomatoes and arugula and a side salad. I've been ordering different Soaves and decided to roll the dice. I tried the house white, which was a lovely, slightly bubbly wine. It was all great - food, wine, service. Not chaotic (like Casa Vino the night before - also very good, just a different atmosphere.) I thoroughly enjoyed the evening and would go back again, happily.

Reviewed 29 April 2018

I ordered the stewed donkey meat with polenta, with a glass of red wine. The stew was tasty and well-cooked, the polenta was bland (which it may well supposed to be) and the red wine was cold (which it isn't supposed to be). €13 for the main seems reasonable and the service was excellent.

Definitely worth a visit if you want to try donkey meat.

Reviewed 14 April 2018

Osteria il Ciottolo is a real pearl! It is located in Corso Cavour and is not easily visible, it is located near Castelvecchio Castle. We were surprised by the lovely ambiance and kindness of the staff. The ambience is decorated in a homey and tasteful style with wooden ornaments. An extremely interesting restaurant that is loved by both domestic and foreign guests. Ideal place for lunch or dinner with family or friends.
The staff is very welcoming and prepared and very helpful to explain about the dishes. The kitchen is typically Veronese (gnocchi of malga, bigoli with duck sauce, bigoli with horse pastissada, braised at Amarone, zaletti with recioto) and it is absolutely exquisite. Portions are abundant. This is a special place and here we are eat well. During our stay we felt remarkably beautiful in the wonderful atmosphere.

2  Thank Asiyah Noemi K
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

I came here without reservations but they were nice enough to fit me in. The food and service was excellent. I would certainly recommend going here. It had a nice atmosphere and did not feel touristy.

1  Thank AmericanSchnitzel