“Lovely place to visit for coffee and snacks”
Review of Il Calice

Il Calice
Ranked #515 of 1,599 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian, International
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: San Marco
Reviewed 29 December 2017 via mobile

This is a busy cafe where you can get a good selection of food and coffee (drink it standing) or if you want to stay a bit longer there is seating upstairs. Free wifi too! It is very close to San Marco-Vallaresso ferry stop.

Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

A busy bistro.
We enjoyed our dinner of sadines, chicken and vegies.
The staff were helpful with our special order.

Reviewed 26 November 2017 via mobile

This little spot became our regular spot for breakfast and a late drink. It was great value. The food changed throughout the day depending if it was breakfast, lunch,or dinner. The staff were excellent and helpful. Highly recommend a visit

Reviewed 15 October 2017

We met a famous man there. A man I owed a tiny debt of gratitude to …albeit that I didn’t know that until I met him there…

It wasn’t our first choice, this place, but the shopping opportunities in the narrow alleys kept attracting my wife as the light grew scarce…but when we could (finally!) eat, the place I had earlier set my heart on was full. Il Calice was my back-up, notwithstanding the evident challenges distinguishing itself from the many attractive eateries along the alleys of Venezia. We arrived just before a rush of folks arrived, vaporetti drivers and tourists mostly, filling up the spaces left along the tables (and raising the noise volumes and the energy level somewhat unpleasantly inside the hard-surfaced little place).

“Where the vaporetti drivers eat is likely a hot ticket”, I thought. This was the case. I kept going back for more tasty food. Everything I asked for was wonderful, at reasonable cost and served promptly. Made me happy…

The food there was wonderful. My wife ate her usual Cabrese salad, pronouncing it (like all things in Venezia) as ‘wonderful’. I ate some of everything else, practically. I ate a lovely bit of bream, which they do so well everywhere in Europe it seems. And I had too many delicious cafe lattes to wash down several wonderful dolce fruit flans.

Internet searching later that lovely evening revealed that the intriguing man we’d struck up conversation with at the long communal table was a renowned translator of the poetry of William B. Yeats, a favourite of mine when I’d studied Literature half-a-hundred years ago. So my love of Yeats had some duty of gratitude to a French national, fantastic English speaker, teacher at Cambridge for decades, and fellow peaceful pilgrim to Venezia! Meeting the man who had helped unlock some reverence to Yeats was just more dolce for a wonderful evening in a surprisingly satisfying little restaurant.

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

Again it’s one of my wanderings in a different city... From outside this little place looked not bad at all, because they have so many dishes that are displayed to choose from, but they can’t mix two things (even if they are the same price) and have no half portions. So I was a bit disappointed for not being able to taste different things without stuffing myself. Not very cheap, but it’s normal in Venice.