“Hotel - Exactly fits Venice”

Hotel Saturnia & International
Ranked #40 of 384 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed August 17, 2017

This Hotel was very good BUT Please don't expect modern, it's no,t it is exactly like Venice old, clean, historic, quaint, interesting and lovely people. This place was wonderfully central which made it soooooo easy to get to EVERYWHERE. The Staff were so helpful and friendly and all the Staff we came across spoke either good or reasonable English (Still think we British should try harder to speak other languages but hey ho) Our room was quite small and quite old fashioned with reasonable air conditioning (which believe me we needed) The bed was comfortable and the linen was nice and clean. The bathroom, again a bit dated but clean and serviceable. There was TV but we didn't put it on. The one thing I didn't like was the fact that the room was very dark and we needed to keep the lights on even in the middle of the day, not that we were ever in in the middle of the day but you get the picture ! I was a little disappointed with this UNTIL I realised that unless you have a room overlooking one of the canals, ALL rooms in Venice are dark. Stands to reason really - all the buildings are so close to each other that I expect most windows look out onto a wall ! I am sure that not all the rooms are quite like ours so it might be worth asking the question when booking. The dining room was outside in a lovely courtyard and we enjoyed continental breakfast there each morning. There was a reasonable selection of fruit, bread, eggs, ham etc. each morning. Dinner is also served there but we chose to eat in a different restaurant each night so I cannot comment on the food, although I expect it was good. We were told that we should expect to be 'bitten' to death by mosquitos whilst we were there as where there is water there are mosquitos !!! Total rubbish, we were there end of July into August and we saw ONE fly and ONE wasp !! We were told that Venice would 'smell' in high season - rubbish there was NO smell whatsoever ! The place is old (that's why we go) but very clean. I would say if you are looking forward to a gondola ride BOOK IT WHEN YOU GET THERE AND CHOOSE YOUR GONDOLA. Most gondolas are beautiful and Gondoliers excellent, we booked ours in advance and I cried when we got off, not for a good reason ! The gondola was the 'old wreck on bricks' and the gondolier wasn't in the lovely uniform and never got off his mobile phone ! We paid for a private ride (4 of us) and he set off then went back for 2 more people! We had paid for a serenade which I thought would be on our gondola but they are between 4/6 gondolas that travel together - our guy 'lost' the serenade because he went back ! BE WARNED - A good one is well worth the money (not cheap) but ours certainly wasn't !

Room Tip: May be that a street room would have more light. Remember there is no traffic !
  • Stayed: July 2017, traveled with friends
2  Thank paulinelesley
There are newer reviews for Hotel Saturnia & International

Reviewed August 16, 2017

The Saturnia is right in the heart of the 'fashion district' of Venice, and was really quite easy to get to from the Grand Canal Accademia pier. If you have Google Maps or Gaia on your phone, you really can't get lost. We choose this hotel simply on location to the Basilica, and price (not on the fashion district) - but I think that we got very lucky, in that this hotel surpassed all of our service needs.

The staff was over the top helpful, so knowledgable, so talented at their jobs. The breakfast was expansive and delicious. The hotel itself could be a Hollywood movie set - ancient creaky hardwood floors, exquisite plastered walls, rich colors, beautiful wool rugs, Murano chandeliers, art of all kinds - all over the place! Our room was perfect. The AC worked great. The bathroom and mini-fridge were just fine for us. No complaints at all here. There is a waterway at the back door for private water taxis as well.

The location was just so easy. After each days walking and exploring (up to six miles) we always found ourselves back at St. Marks Basilica, and the Saturnia. We loved this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hartimage
Reviewed August 15, 2017

Excellent location, acomodations and breakfast! I recommend it!!!
The hotel is located in the most important fashion street of Venice, just beside the hottest stores, and with a five minutes walk distance from the St. Marco Square.

• Stayed: July 2017, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed August 15, 2017 via mobile

This hotel was great! Situated right in the city center of Venice, it lived up to all of our expectations. The rooms were a bit small, which is to be expected in Venice, but otherwise very clean and nice. Although the hotel is older, it is very charming and has a lot of interesting character. My only complaint re the room is that it was located right next to the floor cleaning office and the cleaning staff were quite loud. Thankfully the room had two doors so we were able to close them both to drown out the noise.

The rooftop is very nice with great views however, it was a bit too hot for us to spend a lot of time up there. The breakfast has everything you could possibly need (eggs, fruit, waffles, coffee, tea, bread, pastries, bacon etc.). The breakfast area is in a very beautiful outdoor space.

Coffee and tea machines are not found in the rooms but instead communal spaces. Unfortunately, only instant coffee is provided. There are so many coffee spots in the area though, no need to stay in the hotel for that!

All in all a good stay and I would definitely recommend the hotel!

Stayed: July 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2017

We loved our stay here and highly recommend. The staff especially Giuseppe were wonderful. I emailed them a few days before we arrived asking for a place to get my gels done, they booked a place close by and when I got confused on how to get there, the hotel manager walked me there. What great service. We had a room for the disabled that my husband needed. It was well appointed for him. The room was big enough for us, comfortable bed. The breakfast was the same as the other hotels we stayed in when visiting Italy. The wait staff was very attentive, asking immediately what we wanted to drink, they offered coffee, espresso, juices and still or water "with gas" We are going back to Venice next year for a cruise and hope we can stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2017, traveled as a couple