“Absolutely Fabulous! Pricey but IMHO worth it!”
Review of Gran Caffe Quadri

Gran Caffe Quadri
Ranked #183 of 1,493 Restaurants in Venice
Price range: US$0 - US$287
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 24 January 2018

We first heard about Quadri from a Venice-based dentist (thanks, Fabio, if you read this!) that we met in Anguilla when we told him we were planning a foodie-centric Italy trip ... This dinner, on our first RESTED night in Venice, was the first reservation we made in advance and our expectations were high (and yes, we knew the price would be too!)

After a brief stroll around the waterfront and St. Mark's, we headed into Quadri, to a beautiful room on the second floor ... very old world yet somehow modern as well.

Hubby and I had opted for the three-course meal for 160 euro apiece, knowing we'd pick from each other's plates ... But first, we ordered our very first bottle of BAROLO, something we'd been incredibly excited about ... as hubby put it, "not too complex but somehow light and full-bodied at the same time and perfect for our meal." We even took a picture of the bottle LOL, as presented by "Nonno," the "grandfather of wine" (who, like everyone we interacted with at Quadri, was incredibly kind of delightful!

Every sip of that wine was exquisite and flavorful.

One thing (among many) that I really loved about Quadri, and don't see that often, is that you can choose a few items from one section of the tasting menu rather than being limited to one from each section.

After enjoying amuse bouches of tiny quail egg, a little fried pizza and a tartlet with Gorgonzola and beets (I let hubby have both of the latter, since gorgonzola and beets are on my do not eat list), we received our first courses.

I started with a burrata ravioli which was without exaggeration a revelation! Served in a tomato and shellfish sauce of clams and cuttlefish, the melted burrata burst out of the ravioli in my mouth and was absolutely one of the "best bites" I had in all of my two weeks in Italy! This is now on my list of things I HAVE to learn how to make myself.

Hubby's first course was equally amazing ... raw beef carpaccio rolls filled with raw shrimp, with a creamy anchovy sauce and caviar.

My second course was a perfectly done (for me that means rare) sliced steak with oyster sauce.while hubby had the fritto misto. This last, for hubby, was probably the item he'd rank last on the list ... good, but not "astonishing."

Dessert, though, put us right back on the upswing. I had peach pastry with lavender ice cream which was amazing ... I adore lavender as a scent and bath treat but it can be tricky in food in that if it is too heavy-handed my food, well, smells like bubble bath but this was magnificent and a great pairing of flavors with the pastry light as air.

Hubby had the "chocolate crock" which does not begin to do justice to a work of chocolate-lovers' art. We assumed it would be a pudding or a mousse ... instead, it was a rhapsody of a chocolate napoleon, exquisitely constructed right down to the gold leaf on the top.

For me, just having Baby's First Barolo, the kind and uncondescending service, and the beauty of the room with the view of the square at evening would have been enough for our first non-sleepy night in Venice but this whole meal was memorable and wonderful!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,532)

Reviewed 23 January 2018

Venice has plenty of restaurants which offer better food and/or value for money. However if you want the experience of dining in Piazza San Marco this is a good choice. The food is decent quality and the prices are acceptable for the location.

Reviewed 6 January 2018 via mobile

Sat outside on Piazza San Marco with a couple of coffees, in January sunshine watching the people, pigeons and seagulls. Good coffee, miserable service and not cheap, 11.00 Euro for an Americano and 7.50 Euro for Espresso. But it’s the location....must do it.

Reviewed 2 January 2018 via mobile

An absolute rip off. The place looks tired and old. 3 cup of teas, one glass of Spumante and some slices of pandoro cake €80!! To avoid unless you have money to throw away. Sick.

1  Thank MLU1959
Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

Traveled once again to Italy, all across Roma, Florence, Alba and also Venice.
We decided to visit this popular and 'famous' restaurant for a meal. The prices are high, and the truffle menu was 325 Euro per pax. I advised against it but my missus wanted a last truffle meal before we travel to Florence.

Well we thought we should be in good hands since it is a Michelin starred restaurant, and the ambience and upscale environment looks lovely, right?

We were utterly wrong. The dishes came in the most weird and ill arranged truffle menu ever devised. Second dish was a pappadelle hare dish which already left us a little full. All the dishes had insane strong flavours which totally counter the truffle flavours and aroma. Worst, the truffle which was shaved in the kitchen was very little( the last two dishes was shaved at our table and better tho).

We were full, couldn't enjoy the food by 3/4 of the meal, and the food itself, while not terrible, is honestly barely passable, almost like a bistro food or slightly better.

How then, can they award such price for inane quality, food, chef choice or lack of direction, and also Michelin for awarding the star? I shake my head and will look at so called Michelin starred restaurants with caution from now on.

Totally terrible for the price and unless you are feeling ultra generous or have tons of money to throw, suggest you visit somewhere else- like Glam which is well deserving of its star!