“Great food but service needs tightening.”

Ristorante Pizzeria Marechiaro
Ranked #21 of 460 Restaurants in Bolzano
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 18 June 2017

We were recommended Marechiaro not from our usual source but from a small, low-priced e-book guide to Bolzano. The author made some quite complimentary remarks about the food, stressing that although the restaurant’s name contains the word “pizza” - it was a world away from your average pizza-joint. He was absolutely correct. Saying that, the pizzas we saw being devoured looked absolutely wonderful, so it looks as if this place has the lot!

It is located, not in the old town but just over the river, in the new. Not difficult to find and only a 20 minute stroll from the main square. The establishment itself is as far removed from the usual pizzeria establishment as you could imagine. It’s very modern and slick, with an outdoor terrace, (wonderfully intimate), and a veritable legion of well-dressed wait-staff. All very, very Italian.

My wife wasn’t too hungry, so we shared a platter of steamed seafood to start. As soon as it arrived, we knew we had made a grave error - we should had ordered two! It was utterly delicious. For “primi” my wife had pasta “Scoglio” - so even more seafood. I ordered swordfish but what arrived was a plate of what appeared to be the restaurant’s take on pasta “alla Norma”. Now you would have expected me to point this out but it looked so good, I decided to press-on. Also, I quite often “forget” what I have ordered, so assumed that I had ordered my usual pasta and then, my fish course to follow.

I was half-way through the delicious pasta when a mortified member of staff approached and said, “Sorry, we gave you the wrong dish”. I told him that this was not a problem. Could he please apologise to the person whose pasta I had “stolen” and that I would have the swordfish to follow. I was quite hungry and that “Sicilian” pasta was quite delicious. Sadly this did not happen and I was left “fish-less” after my pasta.

I didn’t want to create any more of a fuss, so we moved on to dessert. My wife had the house Tiramisu and I had their special “XO” dessert - which was epic. Sadly, there was to be one final hiccup. We ordered two of the recommended wines to go with the desserts and despite the flowery and enticing descriptions on the menu - they were identical. I may not have the nose of a professional but I drink enough wine, (some would say too much!), to be able to spot two identical dessert wines. Again, I wasn’t going to allow this to spoil our evening, as they were both priced the same. This was a crying shame, as the wine recommended with the meal, (a Falanghina made for the restaurant’s D’Elia family), was simply excellent. So good in fact that we had two bottles!

So what to make of Ristorante Pizzeria Marechiaro? Well, were it not for the mistakes, I would have awarded it five stars. Sadly, it seems that our experience regarding service were mirrored by some other reviewers. If I were inclined to carping, (which I don't think I am, particularly), then I may have given it three. However the food was so very, very good and every restaurant can have a bad night - I would say that it thoroughly deserves its four. If/when we return to Bolzano, I will not be ruling it out.

Reviewed 28 May 2017 via mobile

I'm American but suspended my familiarity with American service and this was still outrageous. Food is expensive, waiter told me to over order and service took 2 hours for one person and the restaurant was completely empty.

1  Thank Bsugden
Reviewed 28 May 2017 via mobile

I've been to several outstanding restaurants in Italy and this is not one of them. It started out promising with a pulpo (octopus) appetizer but soon turned into the wait of the century.seriously 1 hour 15 minutes between the appetizer and the entree. My husband and I both decided it would be worth the wait if it was stellar but sadly that wasn't the case. It was fine. Just fine. Not worth the incredibly long wait and the cab ride (although we were initially very excited about getting out of the tourist area). Would not go back and couldn't recommend.

Reviewed 26 May 2017

Recently, my husband and I went to visit a friend that lives in Bolzano and we had dinner at Marechiaro. The food was extremely good and unusually for Italy these days, both fish and meat are on the menu. It is an extremely varied menu, including "old fashioned " Italian dishes with the addition of " Italian revisited" dishes, pizza and a very good , reasonabley priced wine list. The service is professional , efficient and very pleasant. The decor is well done, modernish with a lovely inside/outside area, opened by a retractable roof.
We actually live in Italy for half of each year and travel quite a bit through the country. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anybody traveling to the area.

Reviewed 11 May 2017 via mobile

We asked the staff at the Hotel Greif to recommend a place for dinner. Since it was Sunday night there weren't many places open, but the recommended Marechiaro as a good option. It was an easy 15 minute walk from the hotel just out of the town center. We enjoyed the walk as it gave us an opportunity to see more of Bolzano. The restaurant is on a side street in a residential neighborhood.

Upon sitting down it seemed like a place that was frequented by neighborhood regulars, most of whom were stylishly dressed. It didn't appear there were too many tourists like us.

While they brought us menus right away it took a really long time before anyone checked back on us. Like over 20 minutes. We were thinking about leaving, but after I flagged down a waiter the server covering our table got the message and showed up. After that it was good.

We both had seafood which was fresh and tasty. We didn't order the pizzas although they looked good going to other tables. I do find it strange that they do not have a red wine list. The waiter explained because they serve mostly seafood. But there's pizza too? Like another reviewer I was nervous that we were being sold a very expensive bottle, but when we got the bill it was only 49 euros.

Overall a nice dining experience.