“Absolutely do not book with this company”

Maggiore Discovery Day Tours
Ranked #10 of 11 Tours in Stresa
More attraction details
Owner description: We believe in enjoying and exploring the area that you have holidayed to. So many excursions these days take you away from where you are staying meaning that you miss out on the history, culture and nature which can be found right on your holiday doorstep. Having fallen in love with the lake many summers ago we realised the wealth of exciting places, of beautiful sites and of fascinating history that are only a boat ride away. All you need to do is sit back relax.
Reviewed 11 August 2014

After research and days of planning a wonderful trip with my husband, I decided on 3 day trips with maggiore discovery tours. I emailed the company and decided on 3 tours and paid online with paypal. The first tour our guide arrived and advised us that the tour would be finishing at 1:30 instead of 4 as she had another group coming in. Tour two we got a phone call at the hotel advising us that the driver was in an accident and they would refund the tour. Tour three.....they just didn't show us. After numerous emails with no response, we have put it into collection to try and get our money back. Do not book with this company!

14  Thank Lolag1

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Do not book!!

He cancelled one of our trips and was a no show on the second. No refund. No emails.

Beware!!

12  Thank Jamie140
Reviewed 30 July 2014

There seems to be a pattern merging with this anonymous conman.

We enquired with Maggiore Discovery in advance of our holiday due to its excellent online Tripadvisor reputation.

Emails were answered promptly by Farbri (I assume to be the owner) and we booked and paid for two excursions.

The first excursion we did enjoy, although the fact remains the guide arrived very late (message left with hotel reception to advise us of this) and dropped us back to the hotel significantly earlier than the itinerary provided at the time of booking.

The second excursion did not happen - another message left with hotel reception claiming the guide's car had ben stolen; scarcely credible and actually made us laugh, given that we assumed the real reason was the torrential rain of that morning.

An email to Maggiore Discovery requesting a rescheduled date went unanswered.

A further email requesting confirmation that a refund would be forthcoming also went unanswered.

So we too now await Paypal to close this dispute. I can only assume the reviews leading to a 5 star rating are fabricated and that Maggiore Discovery specialises in fleecing tourists.

My advice would be to book in advance and/or in resort with Tomassucci Travel, very helpful and honest.

11  Thank scfpmf
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I have had exactly a similar experience to another user here. This is my account of the events in chronolgical order with dates. 5/06/2014 - I email Fabri Anton via his website, maggiore discovery 7 weeks in advance of my trip. I enquired about 3 tours - borromean island tour, cheese and wine tour and lake orta tour. I also specifically enquired if he would do the tours personally himself. 5/06/2014 - quick reply from Fabri Anton via email. He seemed very informative and helpful and agreed to do the tours personally himself.After a few exchange of emails. We came to an agreement that all 3 tours would be done by Fabri Anton. 6/06/2014 - I made a payment of 196 euros via paypal to Maggiore discovery for the 'Borromean Island tours' and the 'Lake Orta' tours for 2. 30/06/2014 - I received an email from Fabri Anton asking for more payment for the last tour the 'cheese and wine tour'. He also emailed to say that the tours would start at 10.00 am.1/07/2014 - I made 2 payments of 45 euro each to Maggiore Discovery for the cheese and wine tour.16/07/2014 - I repeatedly email Fabri Anton over a few days with no reply from him either via email or telephone. I also provided my irish telephone mobile number and hotel details. Description as below: 16/07/2014 - I emailed Fabri Anton 4 days prior to the start of my trip to ensure things would go smoothly as planned and enquired about flexibility of doing the outdoor tours on the days with good weather based on weather. 18/07/14 - I emailed again to provide my mobile number.20/07/2014 - On the day of the tour, no sign of Fabri but met 'Lisa' at the hotel lobby. Unfortunately, the 'tour' was not as expected as her 'tour' consisted of about 10 mins of briefing about a certain place and did not accompany us into the gardens or any of the buildings. 21/07/2014 - waited in hotel lobby from agreed time at 10am till 12pm. No sign of any guides and no emails or phone
to hotel or mobile.
I resorted to going to checking out two other Stresa based tour guides who have an office building in Stresa and I find out that maggiore discovery is not a legitimate agency and that there have been instances in the past where tours were not fulfilled. Its a small town and word does go round. I am still awaiting my paypal refund.

16  Thank Globetrotter_Raubian