“A woman with a mission”

La Bottega dell’Archetto
Ranked #1 of 4 Shopping in Cremona
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: In our Bottega (workshop) near the Museo del Violino you can discover the Art of BowMaking. You can find all the materials of the bow, the tools to work on a pernambuco wood and some curiosity on old bows.
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Marta, the daughter of the master bow-maker Lucchi is happy to talk about bow-making and violin-making to any visitor to the shop who shows an interest. No purchase is necessary or expected, But we were were so impressed with her enthusiasm for perpetuating the craft of bow-making that we made a small donation to the charity she has set up for that purpose. Our short visit was one of the highlights of our visit to Cremona and provided the answer to many questions that were provoked, but not answered, at the violin museum.

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"maker"
"craft"

Reviewed 30 October 2015

After visiting the violin museum, I decided to visit this bow maker due to the great reviews it received and boy this experience became one of the highlights of my stay in Cremona.
The bow shop is now run by master Lucchi's daughter, I think her name is Maria.
We spent a lot of time talking, probably about an hour, talking about things from how bow are made, the wood, the lucchi measurement to the school of bow making nearby. She was very friend and eager to explain.
Then she let me play some of the lucchi bows on her violin made in 1791. I forgot the name of the maker. OMG! it is the best violin/bow combinations that I have ever played before. The G string is so deep and full, the sound just touched the bottom of my heart. Yet, the high notes just sings like a bird.
When I was ready to leave, she gave me a book on the history of the making of the lucchi bow.
I highly recommend to visit this shop if you play the instrument and you happen to be in the area.

2  Thank Max L
Reviewed 20 October 2015

Marta, the daughter of bow making master Lucchi, was very informative and enthusiastic about the work that her father did. We also learned of the efforts to maintain the quality of the bow making. Highly recommend stopping here.

Reviewed 20 October 2015

This little shop is definitely worth a visit if you're interested in violins. The shop specializes in bows, and the owner, who is the daughter of the late Maestro Giovanni Lucchi, will tell you all about her father's art: crafting bows for string instruments. She allowed my husband, who plays the violin, to test out two bows on a violin in the shop. We were very appreciative of this and impressed with the quality of the bows.