“Fried artichokes are a must!”
Review of Nonna Betta

Nonna Betta
Ranked #3,554 of 13,754 Restaurants in Rome
Price range: US$25 - US$45
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ghetto
Description: Nonna Betta - kosher style cuisine is an authentic Roman Jewish restaurant. Traditional dishes handed down by grandmother Betta are prepared express, using only seasonal ingredients. Among these, our famous fried platters, well loved for their feather-light texture. Aside from the variety with which they rotate, the oil employed for frying is used exclusively for cooking fresh vegetables and cod fillets only, that is never crustaceans or mollusks (that are prohibited) nor frozen products, which are totally missing from our pantry. The restaurant is cozy and pleasant. On the walls are large reproductions of art depicting vignettes of daily life in the Rome Jewish Ghetto before the late 1800s demolitions. In this place, immersed in a relaxed and welcoming setting, you can relive the stories of the Ghetto, and perhaps find answers to questions you "never dared to ask" regarding the Jewish culture, religion or the 2000 year-old presence of Jews in Rome.
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Excellent fried artichokes and cod and pasta. Waiters were unattentive and a bit surly, but the place was packed.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,071)

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

The food is quite good, though not excellent. Service is awful: drinks are brought after starter, bread after you ask 3 times, main course arrives 1 hour after your order

Reviewed 26 March 2018

I had mixed feelings about going to Nonna Betta because it's a bit too famous. And the dining crowd, at least the early bunch, confirmed that the restaurant is perhaps a bit too much of a tourist spot. I wish I'd been there late in the evening to get a feel for whether the locals also come out for Nonna Betta's version of Kosher Italian food.

We made a reservation at the earliest possible time - 6pm - via the website. And we arrived on time...to learn that the restaurant doesn't really open until 6:30pm. However, the servers were polite and friendly and we had a place to sit while they finished their evening meals and made pasta in the back of the dining room.

When service started we were promptly given menus and a wine list. The menu at Nonna Betta can be seen as their interpretation of many local (Roman) dishes. Lots of familiar themes.

We started with a fried Artichoke and a plate of falafel. The artichoke had been flattened and fried in olive oil. Very tasty, and I'd have it again. The falafel were perfect, crisp crust, moist interior, and plenty of flavor. Very good.

My main course was Cacio e Pepe, but interpreted to the style/preference of the cook. There was an herbal component to the dish, we didn't identify it and the waiter's description didn't really clarify it - but it was very good. My dining companion had the beef stew, very simply presented and VERY good.

We closed the meal with a pistachio cream tart, coffee, and (for me) an excellent Grappa.

Nonna Betta may be a tourist destination, but it's a fine restaurant. I'll be back.

The only wrong note to the meal was that I'd ordered a Secondi of Tuna that didn't arrive. Instead of the Tuna that I'd ordered, the staff tried to deliver a second beef stew. Obviously there had been some confusion during the order, either because of my inadequate Italian or because the staff was trying to get the service started. On the plus side, I was pretty full and I didn't really need another course, and the staff removed the second beef stew from the order without complaint. We compensated with a large tip and everyone was happy, or at least satisfied.

Reviewed 24 March 2018

Friends and I enjoyed a lovely meal at Nonna Betta on the first night of our most recent trip to Rome. We shared appetizers including the delicious fried artichokes, fried cod, falafel and zucchini...really unique & delicious. For main courses we had Cacio & Pepe which was excellent as well as the roast lamb and potatoes-and of course since it's spring, the puntarelle salad.
My only criticism would be about the sourpuss of a waiter we had when we entered. Fortunately they all seem to trade off so he soon moved off to other tables.

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

The highlight was the fried artichoke. The risotto was okay but bland. The wait staff was rushed and kind of grumpy.

Been to Nonna Betta? Share your experiences!