“Interesting dining option”

Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Centro
Description: Botin is the oldest restaurant in the world according to the Guinness Book of Records. Located in the heart of Madrid, at the foot of the Arco de Cuchilleros and next to the Plaza Mayor, it was founded in 1725 and was a meeting place for Madrid's bohemian and literary set. Botin offers Madrid-style hospitality in a convivial and friendly setting, with traditional decor. The restaurant prides itself on using the finest ingredients accredited by the respective quality marks in order to offer guests traditional recipes that have been passed down from father to son over the years, cooked in a natural and artisan way. Its specialties include roast suckling pig and lamb cooked in traditional Castilian style in a wood-fired oven that has been in use since 1725. Botin treats all its diners the same - whether politician, famous artist or its neighbourhood regulars.
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Third visit to Madrid and only now taking the opportunity of dining here. Can’t say I’ll go out of my way again but glad of the experience. A Monday evening with no reservation arriving at 820pm having read on previous reviews they open at 8pm. The place was full on the tables we could see and could hear bustling busy chatter from other areas but we were taken very quickly and given a table off the kitchen, which to be honest I think may be for those without reservations and has only five tables in it. It was rustic and full of olde world charm. The food was decent, my husband had the suckling pig (which appeared to be most people’s option) I had chicken with almond sauce. Both were decent as I mentioned but not the most amazing meal we’ve ever had. The wine was reasonably priced at €24 a bottle or the house wine was €18.95. Attending the toilets upstairs gave us an opportunity to view the rest of the building and its charms. When leaving just around 9.50pm the queues were insane but then as I noted , it was a dining experience. You get to keep the menu as a souvenir.

1  Thank TouringScotsGirl
Write a ReviewReviews (8,128)

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Since 1725 this makes Botin the oldest restaurant in the world it’s an Oldie but a Goodie. Our waiter Fransisco was personable and attentive. He showed us where Ernest Hemingway used to sit.
We had the lamb and the suckling pig. Both come with perfectly roasted potatoes.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Despite having to adapt its hours for the tourists (because dinner in Spain is after 9 p.m.), it is amongst my favourites. The food is excellent and the typical thing to eat as a main course is either the suckling pig or the baby lamb - so consider how many tapas you order before!!
Hemingway used to eat there.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Known as the oldest restaurant in the world, the setting is nice with a number of different ambiances. The food is typical in particular the suckling pig and the lamb, but I have had better ones.
Interesting wine list

1  Thank gilardoni
Reviewed 31 March 2018

This was my second time to visit this restaurant and I was not disappointed. It is a lovely old building with lots of character. The food is excellent. The wait staff was efficient making this a very enjoyable occasion. We had sangria in a antique style charming jug. We decided to buy a couple when we left for a remembrance. Highly recommend this place!