All reviews your luggage no lift spiral staircase noisy at night gain access old town mosel river train station revellers noise centre
Reviewed 7 July 2018

Check-in to the hotel is done in their cafe, whilst staff are making food and drinks for cafe customers; it was like checking in at a fast food counter, and I was made to feel as if I was bothering/interrupting them when I had to ask questions regarding the hotel/directions/etc.
I didn't know until check-in that the hotel is not staffed after the cafe staff leave at 6pm, I was given a swipe tag to get in a side door after hours (this will become important later).
The square is extremely noisy from early evening (diners at the cafes around the square) through the night (late night revellers walking through the square at all hours) with both rubbish collection and street sweeping happening from 5:30am. There is no aircon so if you close the windows during summer you're going to suffocate; it's lose/lose.
At 10:30pm on the night I stayed here a week ago, the power went out in the hotel. I had no phone reception or wifi, the room phone was not working, the only way down from my third floor room was via a very dark internal circular staircase, there was no staff on site, and I was afraid if I went outside I would be locked out by the electronic security door. At about 11:30pm-12:00am I heard a car pull up downstairs; it was the owner/manager of the hotel. She came up to my room (after I yelled down to her that I had no power) with another woman and a man, and advised me that there was a problem with the power to this hotel only, that it "wasn't her fault" and that there was "nothing she could do about it". I asked to be found a room in another hotel with power and the other woman (I don't know who she was) cracked it at me "is that what you want to do?" but then went to organise it. She came back a few minutes later and said she'd found me a room elsewhere, and then snapped "I'll see you downstairs" as she went to walk off with the torch, leaving me to try to pack in the dark (and presumably carry my belongings down the dark stairwell); when I pointed this out, she snapped "I was trying to give you privacy". As I was packing the power went back on, and she said "so now you don't need to leave" and disappeared. They all got back in the car and drove away...and the power went off again 5 minutes later and was still off when I left at 8:00am the next morning.
It's easy to say someone provides good customer service, but the test is when a problem arises and you see how that is handled; the attitude I received was not only not helpful, it was actively hostile. I would never recommend this hotel, the "customer service" was non-existent.

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Many of the reviews here give a good impression of the hotel: it's above a cafe in a pleasant old square; the rooms are comfortable of a medium size with a good sized bathroom; there is no lift; there are reasonable facilities such as wi-fi in the rooms. It is fairly priced.
BUT I wouldn't dream of going there again because of how noisy it is at night. There were people in the square shouting and singing till beyond 4 in the morning. When we talked about this to the staff the next morning we were told, "It's the Altstadt". There are, it was said, two universities in Koblenz and the students come to the Altstadt at night. That may be, but for us our next day in Koblenz was badly affected by our lack of a good night's sleep.

Date of stay: March 2018
Reviewed 24 October 2017

We had lunch in this excellent little cafe after a wander around the old town. Simple food but tasty and value for money. But for a tourist the strongest point was a charming staff member with flawless English able to translate the menu for us. Nice stop in an attractive square.

Date of stay: October 2017
Reviewed 15 October 2017

We stayed here for 3 nights during our 5 week trip thru Belgium & Germany.
We arrived from the train station at 1130; check in starts at 1600. They gave us the room key, we left our bags and went exploring .When we did check in our bags were already in the room.
There is no lobby, you check in at the cafe on the main floor. The staff were aloof and not really interested in helping, it was lunch time and the cafe was busy.
The room and bathroom were quite large and pretty clean. However, the room is dark and there is only 1 stool to sit on; a couple of chairs would be nice. There are no amenities like a coffee maker or kettle.
We had a nice view overlooking the square; that was good & bad. The square is noisy at night.
You have to be careful and not leave windows open very wide because pigeons may fly in. Screens anyone?
We had breakfast the first morning in the hotel cafe. We each had scrambled eggs, tea and coffee. The bill was 20€; I thought that was expensive for what we had. We found a pastry shop just up the street and had breakfast there the rest of the time for about 1/2 price.
The location is great.
I prefer a hotel with staff dedicated to the hotel so they can give you advice about their town; restaurants, places to go and see etc. This type of advice isn't available from staff who are primarily servers in a cafe. It's a management issue, not a staff issue.

Would I stay here again? Probably not
Would I recommend it to friends? Probably not

Room tip: try to avoid the top floor, no lift and steep circular staircase.
Date of stay: September 2017
Reviewed 10 September 2017

Very clean modern room with well appointed bathroom overlooking beautiful old square, helpful staff excellent location for exploring the wonderful city of Koblenz. Wonderful breakfast in cafe below hotel highly recommend.

Date of stay: September 2017