See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed 30 September 2016

Room clean, but in 5 days they never changed the bed sheets. Very basic furniture, TV set present, no fridge, Very loud until late night due to people screaming in the street. No elevator during the closing hours of the reception (a very small lift available only from inside the reception, but you need anyway to climb two stair ramps for getting there). Personnel in average kind, but most of them do not speak english. The internet connection is almost useles, as it disconnects automatically after 5 min inactivity, so forget to stay connected with your smarphone. Also, the signal was very poor. In total I paid 575 Eur for 5 nights in a double room single usage, which is an enormity considering the level of service. At similar or lower price you can find much better accomodations in Muenster.

Room Tip: if you have good legs ask for a room in a higher floor (probably less loud), If you can, go elsewere.
  • Stayed: September 2016, traveled on business
Reviewed 12 November 2015

The other reviews are mostly accurate. It depends on what you are expecting. The hotel is 3-star, what in Italy was calledl 'pensione,' in Germany it is "garni." It means a simple hotel without restaurant but with breakfast. Hotel Horstmann is simple but immaculate, safe, and honest. The staff is absolutely wonderful and reflects the best of Germany: helpful, professional, courteous. They will go the extra mile to help you and are very kind. I would stay here again under the same circumstances.

The rooms are simple--almost monastic. Again, it has to do with your expectations, and what you want to pay. Not modern or luxurious. But they are clean. And the place is well run. I felt secure leaving my lap-top in the room when I was gone. The breakfast is beautifully laid out. The meat, cheese, bread, etc. are all fresh and top quality.

I was in town for a conference and didn't spend much time in the hotel. It was just was I needed as a single woman: clean, safe, and professional. The only downside was that it was loud on a Saturday night: with the window open for fresh air, there was a lot of street noise. I was so tired that I always managed to fall back asleep. Not so bad on the other nights: not so much partying during the week, and it was cool enough so that I could shut the windows. It would be difficult on a hot summer night--but that would be true of other hotels of the same rank in the city. If you want hotel quiet, spend for a hotel with AC.

Very convenient to Railway station--short walk.

About the city itself: Münster is a fantastic city. I loved it. I wished I had more time to explore it.

But warning: the one negative experience I had was in getting a cab at train station to take me to a reception at the Schloss. Incredibly rude and scary cab driver, non-native, took me in a circuitous route and then wanted to drop me two blocks from my destination and then literally yelled at me because I didn't know if I had misunderstood his broken German when he asked me if he could drop me off so far away. At that point I just wanted to get out of the cab and away from him. He overcharged me for a trip and still I had to walk a long distance. So be careful about what cab you get into and about determining the price ahead of time. The City needs to review cabbies and remind them of basic rules and expectations.

Room Tip: Maybe in back of hotel away from main streets, for more quiet....
  • Stayed: September 2015, traveled on business
1  Thank javl
Reviewed 10 August 2015

If you are an insomniac this hotel is ideal. It is situated right outside Munster's 24 hour snack bars which are used all night by noisy revellers. All night the noise persisted comprising shouting, screaming, singing and other noises. There is no car parking so to park expect to walk the 500m to the nearest city car park.

These important issues aside, it is a lovely hotel next to the main station. The room was spacious and nicely fitted. The staff were very friendly and the breakfast was superb.

• Stayed: August 2015, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2015

For a short city trip, this is a good place to stay. Not Luxury, but kind and helpful receptionist. A clean and spacious room. Good breakfast. And perfect distance tot the city center, very close to the hauptbahnhof where you can easily rent a bike for a country bike tour and near a large parking garage.

• Stayed: July 2015, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mikje2014
Reviewed 15 November 2014

If you are traveling via public transport to Münster then this hotel is well located being a five minute walk from the Hauptbahnhof and the bus stops. I personally flew in from London Southend airport with FlyBe to Münster/Osnabrück airport (which is about 25 miles from Münster) There are regular buses departing to Münster: http://www.flughafen-fmo.de/index.php?page=12&lang=en and the journey is around 30 minutes. The arrival bus stop is just by the Hauptbahnhof and you simply cross over the main pedestrian crossing and walk up the facing street where the hotel is clearly located.

The reception is on the first floor with the breakfast room adjacent. Staff were friendly and the rooms are situated on the next 3 storeys of the building. There was a lift available but I didn't use it preferring top climb the stairs and traveling light this was not a problem for me. The room was simple but clean with an en-suite bathroom with good shower. I only stayed 2 nights and was out most of the time so I would say this hotel is good for a short break and the price was reasonable.

The location is quite central as it's between the Hauptbahnhof and the old town where you will find the Prinzipalmarkt and the tourist office for maps plus much more. I went in July so must-sees are Aahsee (Lake Aah) and the Promenade-this is a circular footpath/cycle path lined with Linden trees (built on the old city walls) and is the ideal way to navigate to all parts of the city. Being the so-called cycle city of Germany there are plenty of bikes to hire.

Overall I found this hotel ideal as a single traveler, as it had the combination of value for money, location and cleanliness!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo