“Great evening in an authentic German tavern”

Hausbrauerei Zum Schlussel
Ranked #56 of 1,957 Restaurants in Dusseldorf
Cuisines: German
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Altstadt
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We received a friendly welcome with a glass of my favourite Alt bier almost immediately. A good selection of authentic style cuisine and the food was quick to arrive huge portions and tasty. The bier keeps coming with a mark on your beermat to be totalled at the end of the evening until you put a beermat over the top of your glass indicating you have had enough. Great to be back in Dusseldorf after 25 years.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My coworker and I stopped here one afternoon to grab a beer. We did not eat here, so I don't have feedback on the food, though the dining area had a decent crowd for an off time. We loved the beers we drank, and the atmosphere was pleasant. It was an older crowd than nearby establishments. Everyone was conversational and we had a local couple sit with us. We tried to converse, but the language barrier made it challenging. Anyway, it was fairly priced and very good beer!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This house brewery and restaurant is one of several in Düsseldorf that offers Altbier, which is a dark brown top fermented beer and therefore a bit more like a British ale than a lager. This type of beer is typically served in small glasses which the waiter keeps bringing to the table until you are satisfied and signals for the bill. Your coaster is also your tab, as the waiter puts a pencil mark on it for each drink. I had wanted to try this drinking experience in Düsseldorf, and it was fun to have done so. There were a lot of people at the tables outside the restaurant enjoying beer in the same way. The service was quick and friendly. I wasn't hungry, so I did not try the food, but what was served indoors did look and smell nice.

Reviewed 14 April 2018 via mobile

I love this place! Real authentic German food and amazing tasting beer that they keep bringing to your table! I have been back many times and will continue to eat there. Danke

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

Being used to southern German dishes, I was on the hunt for spatzle, which is not typical for Düsseldorf and the northern region. Found it here and was able to substitute for kartoffell(potatoes). Dining alone, service was efficient and pleasant late afternoon. The house beer is very good, but the meal was outstanding. Had the ‘Bierkutschur’ plate and there was enough sauce for the spatzle to thoroughly enjoy.
Seriously satisfying!