“Good food bad service ”

Cuisines: German
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mitte
Description: Aigner restaurant in the heart of Mitte Berlin enjoys views of the charming Gendarmenmarkt from its terrace and vistas of the French and German cathedrals. Aigner has furnishings rescued from the legendary Café Aigner in Vienna, from the billiard table to the modernist Thonet furniture, wine bins along the walls and mirrored ceiling, giving an air of elegant restraint. Private groups may make use of the billiard room. This is a fine restaurant and watering-hole for Berlin’s high-fliers – like former Chancellor Schröder -- though award-winning chef-owner Herbert Beltle cares little for that moniker. Instead, he concentrates on using the freshest ingredients to create excellent regional Austrian and south German cuisine alongside newer, lighter inventions. Signature dish is Tafelspitz, served in a brass kettle with haunch and shoulder of beef, veg, savoy cabbage, crème fraiche and apple-flavoured horseradish. Other dishes include ice cream of potato-leek soup with fried scallops, pink-fried calf’s kidneys in mustard sauce with potatoes, and Tete de Moine with fig mustard. Strong wine list. A few steps from the Schauspielhaus theatre.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I had lunch there the food was absolutely outstanding. Although the food was amazing the service has to follow accordingly. I felt once I stepped in the restaurant that i have disturbed the service. They even forgot to put my coffee into my bill. I had to remind them. Careless of details I presume. I’ll comeback only for the food.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,054)

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Excellent food and service. The only reason I dont give this a 5* rating is that I had gone their with my two daughters and the place is not focused on kids. I wont say Kid unfriendly as they happily allowed my girls in and the service staff took good care of them. But they were a bit short of food choices.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We were delighted with the service and the food at this beautiful restaurant and would recommend it highly. We had been sightseeing all day and therefore were not as hicely dressed as many of the other diners but the host was gracious and sat us immediately. I think it would have been better if we had been a little bit more dressy.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We hadnt booked but they found us a table even though gah they were really busy. Good German menu and wine selection from their own vineyard. The food was delicious, large portions and very good knowledgeable service. Very warming considering it was -4 degrees outside - thank you!

1  Thank Gilrobo
Reviewed March 12, 2018 via mobile

This place is amazing!!!

It's a great welcome to Berlin.

The staff was outstanding.

I loved the table decorations made from flat ware.

Food is typical German & Vienna style.

Great wine , great food, great desserts, fantastic after dinner drinks.
I personally reccommend the pancake dessert and the grappa...

If your in Berlin and want German food this is a must