“6 course perfection ”

Ranked #54 of 1,253 Restaurants in Nuremberg
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 10 January 2018 via mobile

Let me start by saying, I don’t speak German. This was no barrier to a perfect night dining. From the first course of fish atop mashed potatoes accompanied by diced pickled apple through to the chocolate course everything was as I would hope. The scallops served with pumpkin amazed me. I hate pumpkin but the thinly sliced pickled pumpkin with the thinly sliced scallops were eye opening. The pork belly with teriyaki glaze was different than any I had tried before. Gone was the fatty tasting lump of pork replaced by wonderfully crisp pork belly with just the right amount of glaze. The wines by the glass were good and at a fair price, there is wine option to match each course if you wish. There is a four course option that my wife got, it just eliminates the pork and cheese courses. I could describe all six courses but suffice to say although pricey Wonka is worth every nickel of your hard earned money.

2  Thank John W

Reviewed 19 October 2017 via mobile

We got a working dinner in this place and, honestly speaking, I have to admit the experience was really good.
From the welcome, to the decoration, from service to menu and preparation I found this restaurant an interesting place to stop by and have a dinner which mixes up tradition and modernity.
Size of dishes is decent, could have been bigger... but this way you have more room to try more!

2  Thank Cristian F
Reviewed 20 August 2017

I'm so glad we happened to dine here for my husband's birthday - this is the type of fine dining restaurant we've been missing since we moved here from northern California. Service is top notch, the ambiance is warm and quiet without being stuffy, and the food and wine list out of this world.

After asking about portion sizes and being assured they weren't excessively big, we chose the 6 course menu with wine matching. We started with the house aperitif, a Riesling Sekt with house-made thyme essence - subtle and delicious. An amuse bouche was served with the Sekt, followed by a second amuse bouche (a mini Reh burger).

We chose the Land-Fluss-Meer (the meat/seafood) menu. They also have a very interesting vegetarian option and you can mix and match if you like.

The dishes of every course was beautifully presented, with harmonious flavors and textures. The wine matching was for the most part spot on, with very interesting wines - for two of the courses I would have chosen a different wine (which I explained to our server and why) - but I am very particular about my wine pairings and I think most people have been happy with all the pairings.

Wonka posts their current menu, so you can always check to see what's on offer But be warned: The descriptions do not do justice to the actual dishes!

This was not inexpensive (we spent 300 Euros for 2 without tip) for aperitifs, 2 bottles of water and 6 courses with matching wines. Worth every Euro! We'll definitely be back.

2  Thank MsSommelier
Reviewed 14 April 2017 via mobile

Really, I must confess that this restaurant is outstanding in the entire city of Nuremberg. There are only a few, which deliver such great food, basically two menus, and assortment of international wines. He menus changes every four up to six weeks! Service is nice, not so personal, as I assumed. Spent great evenings here!!!

1  Thank dermarco1
Reviewed 30 May 2016

We were for an exhibition in Nürnberg and were going to eat with clients. Originally we were 7, we arrived as a group of 8 people. I wanted something else and found this restaurant through Michelin and it also had good reviews on Tripadvisor. So 1 person extra was no problem, they moved us to a separate room with a big table (suitable for meetings because there was a beamer on the ceiling) where we also enjoyed some privacy. The two menus were somewhat confusing for everybody (they thought they had to chose 1 or 2) so I asked the owner to explain that you could just pick a dish or two, three, whatever. So, service excellent. Food excellent. Entourage very stylish and yet not overdone. Wine was perfect. We could not be more content. Everybody was happy with this choice. We could walk from our hotel (it was about 10 minutes) but if you are not that close maybe better take a taxi.