See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed 10 December 2016

Not in the centre of the city (southern part), but go there if you want an authentic German food. We had a lovely cabadge soup (we did not know about it as it was as soup of the day), a turkey breast in gluhwein sauce (wonderful, you can smell the hot wine of Christmas in the sauce) with croquets, abnd apple rings with eiscream. Service very friendly, value good. The only minus, we had been with a big bus, no parking possibilities in the vecinity.

Room Tip: we just ate there
  • Stayed: December 2016, traveled with friends
Reviewed 21 October 2016

I enjoyed my stay at the Petzengarten. It was nice to stay somewhere other than a big hotel chain for once! The staff were all friendly and helpful. It's a simple hotel, no frills and the reception has limited opening hours (though help is always at hand in the restaurant). The room I stayed in was clean and a good size.
Breakfast was nice. Small but a good selection, I would say there was something for everyone. I didn't eat at the restaurant attached, but it smelt good and looked busy every night when I passed by!
The free wifi was good and I had no connection issues. I did notice the code was only good for one device though which I didn't realise at first, so I wish I'd connected my laptop rather than my phone. That said, I didn't ask if I could have had a second code, so it may be worth checking that for future stays.
The hotel is in a residential area and was very quiet. It's a 10 minute taxi into the town centre. I didn't explore the public transport.
This was a business trip, but I'd actually quite like to return (perhaps for the Chritsmas market?) with my family.

• Stayed: October 2016, traveled on business
Reviewed 25 June 2016

Another great stay at the Petzengarten. I had a ground floor, single room on this trip. Having a beer or enjoying a great meal in the courtyard is a great experience offering both quality and good value. The breakfast is good as you'd expect in Germany. The location is about 15 minutes walk to the altstadt and is in a quiet and nice part of the city. The owner, Jutta, is a great host and when I go back to Nuremberg I'll certainly be staying at the Petzengarten.

• Stayed: May 2016, traveled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2015

First of all - this is a 3* hotel. If you are wanting a butler in your room and 24 hour jacuzzi massage this is no the hotel for you.

But as 3 * hotels go this one has been the best I have stayed in anywhere in the world.

We were travelling to a conference in the Grundig Stadion which is 1.9 miles away so location was important for us. If you want to see Hitler's megalomania up close, Nuremberg is the place to visit and this hotel is right next door. If you want to go into town it's a couple of miles in the opposite direction, so it's well placed for pretty much everything you might need access to.

Reception
This is probably the only weak spot in the whole process. We arrived late (11.30pm) and had emailed the hotel in advance to alert them to this. But when we arrived the hotel was totally locked up with all the lights out. Fortunately 2 other guests who were returning late let us in. we then looked around for anyone who could help us with our room but to no avail. reception was not clearly marked but we eventually found 3 sets of keys with names allocated to them on the counter top so we made our way to the room.
Even during the day it was difficult to find anyone at reception - they were usually doubling up as waiters in the outdoor restaurant.

Room
Was very comfortable. The nearest English equivalent would be a Premier Lodge - but this had much better facilities. The only challenge we had was the heat. the weather was warm during the day and even with the windows open at night we poor Northerners were boiling hot. The room was spotlessly clean and tidied every day. the minibar was reasonably priced and there was a fair selection of drinks.

Breakfast
This was the only meal we could have because every time we returned from the Stadium the hotel was shut up for the night. But the breakfast was remarkable. A good range of food both hot and cold and better quality than I have had in many hotels of higher star rating.

And all this for about £50 per night for 2 people - amazingly good value

• Stayed: July 2015, traveled with friends
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We were there for the Christmas Markets and stayed for 2 nights. It is a family run place, cozy and well cared for. The rooms are on the small side. The quaint buildings have survived in a busy area of the city. Upon check-in we were greeted warmly and given excellent directions to the bus (#36), which is a five minute walk from the hotel. (Dorfu-Zentrum line). It took us to the city center and the Christmas Markets. We spent the day meandering down to the main train station (Hauptbahnhof) and took the #9 tram home. The landmark to look for is the N-ergie building which is the place to get off both the bus and the tram. Breakfast was excellent, hot and cold dishes. We had an excellent dinner there as well. It does get busy for dinner with locals, so make a reservation. The only draw back for us was no place to make tea or coffee in the evening.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends