“Much better than the Hofbrauhaus”
Review of Augustinerkeller

Augustinerkeller
Ranked #3 of 211 Nightlife in Munich
More attraction details
Owner description: Founded in 1824, this popular beer garden is considered by many to be the best in town, both for its Augustiner beer and its beautiful grounds.
Reviewed June 22, 2013

This is a really nice bier hall just out from the main part of Munich. Unlike the Hofbrauhaus, the bier is great, and there actually is service. The food was also good in the typical Bavarian style.

Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

This place is unbelievable. Huge, would estimate sits about a thousand people outside under the big trees. Great beer, traditional food, fantastic atmosphere.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

WOW, thats one huge Biergarten. recommended by a friend for great food and authentic german brew. The garden area looked huge and really packed on a Summer Saturday, the waiter later told us they have 7000 seats including out and indoor!!!! We chose to sit inside as we're dinning and best not to have smokers around while eating. A rain storm came all in a sudden when we were still eating, all the people sitting outside just ran into the Bierhall, liven up the whole atmosphere! We had Armin waiting our table, we all liked him so much, I didnt have beer but my companies mentioned that their beer was better than the one we had in the afternoon at the other popular Bierhaus in the old town.

Armin also promised me that the kitchen would cook anything I order into gluten free! I ordered a Lamb Shank(Lammhaxn) from the 'Tageskarte' (Daily menu) which was only available in German language (many more options available! ask for it and use your dictionary!). He said that they would just do it without the sauce to make it gluten free but surprisingly he brought it in with sauce and said the kitchen made the sauce into gluten free as well! The others ordered Wiener Schnitzel, Münchner Schnitzel and one whole duck. We all enjoyed our food a lot.

Except great alcohol and food, don't forget to try their authentic desserts! With my allergy, I could only eat the 'Bayrische Vanillecreme' but I was really satisfied with it, was smiling all the way from the first bit : ) The others had 'Kaiserschmarrn' and 'Ofenfrischer Rahmapfelstrudel', I could not try but they all said that Apfelstrudel was the best Apfelstrudel they had, don't miss these traditional German desserts!

1  Thank NumberThirtyFour
Reviewed May 15, 2013

It's a fun area and the food was decent. I had the Frankishe Bratwurt with Saurkrat and a large pretzel and it was good. My friend had the 1/2 chicken and 1/2 pork and he liked his as well.

However, the service was extremely slow. After we sat down, we waited almost 20 minutes for a waitress to come and take our order, even after we had flagged down other waiters to help find our waitress. The food came reasonably quickly after that. But then it took another 20-25 minutes for them to bring our bill/check when we asked for it so we could pay. They were not that busy when this happened - maybe 40% full - so I don't know why their service was so horribly slow.

Also the men's bathroom was just a giant outdoor urinal and it stunk quite badly ... A good old trough if you remember those. :-(

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Wow, when I think of a beer garden in Munich I think about a place out doors with thousands of people sitting around drinking beer and eating great food ! We that's what you will get here ! There must be seating for 2,000 people . There is a full service and a self service side both are great . the beer is not so good if you ak me , tastes likes like 7 up flavored beer , but the ambience is what we wanted and man was it here!
if you want the outdoor Bavarian experience go and have a seat and a beer ! Great people watching !

Mike