“Awesome 3-Michelin Star with a Really Really Reasonable Lunch Menu”
Review of Restaurant Bareiss

Restaurant Bareiss
Ranked #2 of 44 Restaurants in Baiersbronn
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed 5 July 2016

Set in the outstandingly beautiful mountain resort town of Baiersbronn, you won't find a harder-working, better-tasting, more formal restaurant anywhere in the world. Bareiss has 3 Michelin stars, a mark of incredibly high distinction, and quite interestingly is almost across the street from Baiersbronn's other 3-star called Schwarzwaldstube. So, this tiny town has as many 3-stars as the entire city of London.

Service- for an American like me, you might be struck by the incredibly formal, somewhat clipped nature of your service. No one would even approach being rude, but don't expect the same paragraphs-long course explanations, handshakes with the chef, or general engagement you might get from an American 3-star. I asked where their butter was from, for example, and I was told: "from France." "Where in France?" I asked. "From France" came the reply, but more slowly, to emphasize that this was all the information available on said topic. Interesting.

On a much more positive note, from the moment I sat down to the moment I left I was heartily greeted, carefully attended to, and listened to with great attention. The members of staff made everything look easy, but were working their faces off to create an awesome experience for every guest.

Food- transcendently great. Beautifully prepared. Lots of precise, careful knife work. Absolutely beautiful to look at. For a full, dorky course-by-course, go here: ow.ly/bI5k301V6vK.

Overall- you won't find a better meal anywhere in Germany. It's a touch stuffy, but if you're looking for the best of the best in German cuisine, this is in the top handful. You won't regret going, especially if you do their lunch, which is under 100 Euros. You can't find a deal like that at hardly any 3-star in the world.

1  Thank Andrew W

Reviewed 21 June 2016

We came here on the way through a multi-country gastronomic tour and we had the tasting menu for lunch with a very nice half bottle of wine. I think this may have been a mistake as there was so much food it was difficult to get through it all even for me - and I can eat a lot! Also - the food whilst good and technically well prepared seemed more about the presentation and a demonstration of skill by the chef than about the produce itself. The food was, on the whole, a little sweet with a significant amount of fruit sauces. This makes it for us, not as good as other 3* Restaurants we have been to. The room itself is very elegant and the hotel in a lovely setting in the Black Forest but we would not rush back, if we did we would certainly have the lunch menu only which at 99 Euros is very good value.

Reviewed 17 May 2016

Very good restaurant a little bid outdated. I had a very good dinner but not an exceptional dinner/ exprerience. Problem is that the hotel already has such a good kitchen that it's difecult for the Bareiss Restaurant to make the real difference. But if you want to try a 3 star restaurant it's a good choice. They have a very nice wine list with great variance of wines in regions and years.

Reviewed 4 May 2016 via mobile

Faboulooouusss, the standard of food, presentation and service unbelievable and I've been around for a while! I've been asked for more details by trippy I can't find the words to highlight how excellent the experience was.

Reviewed 21 April 2016

our annual visit to restaurant bareiss is one of the gourmet highlights during the travels. Claus-Peter Lumpps creativity and the skills of the kitchen combined with the tremendous service are fantastic. Highly recommended.