See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed 3 July 2017

Great hotel on back streets of antique quarter. We had a triple room which was not huge if you base it on uk sizes but perfectly adequate for French sizes. The room had good air conditioning, a lovely bathroom and great shutters to block the light. We had the full breakfast option which was extremely good value for money, lots of choice and nice relaxed environment and atmosphere. All the staff we met were polite and helpful and cheerful. Best wifi so far on our trip!!! The hotel is located not far from all main attractions and please take the time to climb up to the Notre Dame cathedral as the view is breath taking and well worth the hike. We have stayed in higher priced hotels and not had the comfort and service we have had here.

• Stayed: July 2017, traveled with family
zip75, Gérant at Hotel Edmond Rostand, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2017

Dear Anita h
Thanks for the comments
It was a very pleasure having meeting you again
See u next time in Marseille
Regards
Jérôme

Reviewed 10 March 2017

Hotel Edmond Rostand was very central to where we wanted to be, very clean and with excellent staff. Before arriving to Marseille, I was sent a short survey to fill out which included questions such as "Would you like restaurant recommendations?" and "Do you need any assistance getting to the hotel?" The answered provided were brilliant and made getting from the airport to the hotel as simple as possible.

The hotel itself is clean and tidy. Our room was small but had all the basics you could need as well as free unlimited wifi. The hotel was just a short walk down to the Old Port which is beautiful.

• Stayed: March 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2016

Our room was very new and modern and impeccably clean. It was, however, absolutely tiny - just room for a bed and desk - with a large-ish, ultra-modern bathroom. The roll-down shutters and double glazed windows (also new) provided peace and quiet despite the relatively busy street that our room overlooked.

Front desk staff were lovely, and even brought us up an iron at our request.

Unfussy continental breakfast is offered although we went out to eat.

In the heart of the antiques district, you are well-positioned to explore the city - it is a 10-15 minute walk to the old port - or to find a treasure to take home.

Essentially, not somewhere to luxuriate (although there is a common lounge area downstairs), but a great place to get a good night's sleep after a full day exploring the city, or, if you are like us, sleep off a hangover after a night on the town.

The modest price certainly allowed us to spend more money on food, drink, and entertainment - of which Marseille has so much to offer.

• Stayed: September 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2016 via mobile

I was booked into the hotel.the day I should have stayed I was told by the receptionist that I had called and cancelled the reservation. I had done no such thing. I came to the conclusion that as the city of Marseille was full of football fans that they would be better letting the room at a higher pice.I spoke to the Manager who was totally devoid of any sympathy to my situation. His only comment to get in touch with the company I booked with.Would I stay at this hotel if asked again.ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Stayed: July 2016, traveled with friends
3  Thank DOUGLAS P
Reviewed 3 October 2015

My mother and I stayed for three nights at the hotel while using Marseille as a base to tour Provence. The location is pretty central - 10 minute walk to the Port Vieux, 5 minute walk from the M1 metro station. We were on the third floor - you can either take the stairs or an extremely small elevator. Large enough for two people and no luggage. If you're not keen on confined spaces, as my mother is, you can be assured of plenty of exercise! Rooms were ok - clean, comfortable beds, but also betraying a certain cheapness: a split toilet seat in my room, two sets of batteries for the remote control that had expired (I ended up bying my own), and a pevading whiff of smoke that suggesed the smoke free room hadn't always been so. And in hindsight, I wouldn't have paid for the breakfast - very basic cold cuts, no fresh fruit. If you're looking for a budget(ish) stay in a convenient location this does the job.

• Stayed: October 2015, traveled with family