“Normandy - American Beaches / Bayeux Tapestry”

Destination Normandy - Dominique Fiquet
Ranked #4 of 7 Tours in Caen
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Private tours of Normandy sites with a private guide. Born and raised in Normandy, I offer guided visits of the WWII Battlefields. This includes all American and British/Canadian sectors of the D-Day invasion and Battle of Normandy. But DDay is not the limit. Escort and Highlights of the Normandy sites, overview or in-depth, whether famous or off the beaten path, my tours travel through time, History awaits you. All my tours will be YOUR tour, no two are alike because you all have different interests, different expectations, a different pace, a different level of knowledge to start with, for these reasons and more, each tour is personal. I also offer the perspective of a Norman native, I have studied at length and in depth the history, culture, traditions of Normandy, and this enables to bring new colors to the tours that I conduct, that will go beyond and above the subject itself. Besides, I've been told I am good company, I hope you'll agree, but there's only one way to know.
Reviewed 24 September 2017

As a Cherbourg native & Norman history scholar / WW2 guide, Dominique is excellent, with multilingual skills. My husband & I met her in Bayeux for 1-day American beaches tour + Bayeux Tapestry background. Less expensive w your own car rental. Her depth of knowledge & 20 years' experience in guiding show in her preparation & delivery.

She has previously guided the Band of Brothers actors' reunions, but gives you insight into how French life in Normandy was affected & how Norman(dy) culture is unique. She does know the military history as well as the cultural history. If you have a non-native guide, or only an ex-military guide, you will miss much of what happened to the cities, countryside, and lives of the people of Normandy and France, and their interactions both during and after the war with those who were on their soil with them.
To understand Normandy and D-Day, it helps to know the Viking/Norman period, and the area's relationship with England with the Norman invasion / story of the Bayeux Tapestry, which she is uniquely qualified (from Master's Degree study) to offer.
Great guide! We have also met 2 people who were guided by her since meeting her this month, and they also love her! / J.A.

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"sites"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed 17 August 2017

I recommend Dominique Fiquet for a tour of the Normandy beaches and Mont St Michele. She was very well prepared for our visit, tailoring her presentation to our specific interests and requirements. There is no doubt we doubled or tripled our knowledge and experience by having the services of a guide versus trying to navigate it on our own.

Reviewed 10 June 2017

Asking Dominique for a day tour of Normandy was one of the best decisions I could have made. I wanted to take my father to the D-Day beaches and make it a special visit. Besides being incredibly knowledgeable of the area’s history (going back to the Norman Conquest), Dominique was simply a wonderful person to spend the day with. She crafted the day to include many of the sights related to Band of Brother’s and she also was able to take us some place not available to the normal tourist (Brécourt Manor).

I would recommend Dominique wholeheartedly to anyone wishing to go deeper than just the D-Day museums. She is informative, friendly, and has both a big-picture/tiny-details encyclopedia of knowledge about the events of D-Day and afterwards.

Reviewed 16 May 2017

Dominique is a professor of all things Normandie. She is full of knowledge and has a passion for her job and it shows through the whole tour. She walked us through D-Day like she was there and lived it. She related to my husband who is an encyclopedia himself on D-Day to our 8 year old daughter. We all learned so much. We were completely overwhelmed when we got to the American Cemetery Memorial (circle of names of men that bodies haven't been recovered). She could look at each of the 1557 names and tell you based on their company if there was any chance left of recovery. We hope to one day go back for an extended tour with Dominique. If she is available book her you will not be disappointed!

See more reviews
Reviewed 24 April 2017 via mobile

Our family did a day tour with Dominique of the American D-day beaches and the American cemetery. She was fabulous! Very in-depth knowledge about every aspect of D-day/WW2 and Norman history. She grew up in the area and knows Normandy and its history intimately. She was very affable and fun. Her English was impeccable (and she speaks a number of other languages and is learning Icelandic!). She did a great job with the entire family - to include engaging our boys (ages 15 and 12). She brought a binder of maps and photographs that really helped set the context and bring it all together. Great day out with Dominique!! Merci beaucoup!