“A tourist trap”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Lille Centre 12
Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

This restaurant sits in a sort of building backyard, preceded by two others more economical places I'd say (judging from what it was served), so it was found almost because of a chance and - at the net of my experience - I wish I would have not found it at all.

Firstly, it has to say that we arrived here only because we were after dining while eating the two popular Lille dishes: the carbonnade flamande (stewed meat) and waterzoï (boiled poultry in bouillon with cream). We couldn't find any of those on the first top 5 restaurants we visited on our path, and being already 8pm we decided to give it a go to this place, though the cost already put me on the warning condition.
But I thought, ok these are local special mains, so they must somehow be with worth; hence we entered.

At the entrance, the waiter indicates is the table number where we can sit. He said you can go upstairs, table 10. Every restaurant I've been so far, even the cheapest, has always seen waiters escorting us to the table, so this was already collecting its second negative point.
Finally at the second floor, another waiter see us arriving, and when I said about the table, it let us accommodate next to a table close to the kitchen (which was having the door fully open because of the hot weather and the fact they could not keep their windows open), a fridge with cold drinks and the elevator used by guests (the space for passing between my chair and the lift was so reduced, that I wonder what would have happened if a person on a wheel chair was there).

Anyway, the waiter comes with the blackboard with the daily selection, but we say we want those dishes. He suggests that they will take only five minutes to be prepared and whether we were ready to eat. We just say so and literally after seven minutes the mains arrive, clearly suggesting previously cooked food, which in fact was barely warm, tasty, but definitely not worth the money they sought.
In serving the meal, part of my stew was poured on the underneath napkin; when it came the time of the wine, some drops went on the table, and the tea (served in a metal teapot you usually get in a second-hand style bar) was heavily dropped on the table.

The dessert selection was almost okay, and the glasses of wines good, but this was very little to compensate the bill.
Toilets are in the basement, where a second guest hall is located, with the gents with a door open and the hand wash basin in the main room somehow.

1  Thank Andrea M

Reviewed 8 January 2018

I was on a business dinner with a group. Our French host made a reservation and helped us to order traditional french food. I had a 3 course menu and it was very tasty. I liked how the food was presented and the wine selection was very good.
We had a small accident with a waiter, but everything went well.

Reviewed 7 December 2017 via mobile

We came as a large group on a business trip. The waiters were so helpful, I speak French but a lot of the group didn't...not a problem as their English was great and they had an English menu too. The food was fabulous. I had the carbonnade and the café gourmand. To be honest everyone's dishes were well received and I would have happily had any of them.

Reviewed 24 August 2017

We ate a dinner meal here at the recommendation of our hotel staff. It was a bit tricky to find, but we made it.
We were welcomed and seated immediately and were third table sat. The wait staff took our drink orders and we were able to chat quietly.
The food took some time to get there but that is not a problem, and the staff respected our privacy after chatting briefly with us about where we were visiting from.
The food was good but not exceptional.
Not a bad experience at all.

Reviewed 12 August 2017

This place starts off well and gives you the impression that you have found an excellent local restaurant tucked away from the crowds.

Unfortunately, the food and the service do not do the space and the atmosphere justice.

The staff were disorganised and inattentive, despite there being virtually any other diners.

The food was average at best, failing to deliver either good restaurant or great home cooking fare.

Unfortunately, most decent home cooks could do significantly better armed with a decent regional cookbook.

Such a shame because this could potentially be one of the 'go to' local restaurants in Lille.

Been to Le Barbue d'Anvers? Share your experiences!