“Great food but okay service”
Review of L'Avant-Gout

L'Avant-Gout
Reserve with
L'Avant-Gout is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,860 of 19,258 Restaurants in Paris
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Place d'Italie / Quartier Asiatique
Reviewed 3 February 2018 via mobile

The food here is fresh, high quality and the dishes are thought-out and beautifully played.

I just the feeling the waitress was really annoyed with my mother in law. When my mother in law got her starter and told the waitress it wasn't correct. Then the waitress snapped and said it was and that she only has two hands. I guess she had to pour the soup from another vessel.

We had to ask for silverware, they forgot our wine and our water. After we remi ded them they brought it to us.

Luckily, the food was good. I had the scallop pot au feu and the pavlova.

The best dish was the pavlova. It had sour cherry sorbet that was AMAZING!

Overall, the food is really good, the service probably had a bad night, the decor is forgettable and the location is a bit out of the way.

Reviewed 6 October 2017

Super delicious with creativity, and Reasonable Price.
Definitely, I should visit here again or every time when I visit Paris. I love this restaurant!

Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

Food: creative, cross-over - interesting! They could have gone a little further in the spices though.

Service: nice, friendly enough with professional distance

The premises: not so cozy, but clean and light.

Reviewed 16 August 2017

Some people eating "fine food" in Paris has to be expensive, but the weekday 16€ two course lunch menu which includes a glass of wine and coffee is hard to beat. On this visit, the menu included a surprisingly flavorful gazpacho de pastèque au Xérès, spaghettis de courgettes avec agrumes (watermelon gazpacho with sherry vinegar, zucchini spaghetti and citrus) and a main course of Dos de merlu cuit sur peau, purée de pommes de terre Agria, jus à l’encre de seiche (hake served with mashed potatoes in a squid ink sauce.

Since I am not a fish person, I ordered from the a la carte menu the entrecote de veau poêlêe, jus corsé à la fève tonka, purée de pommes de terre à l’huile de sesame et chips de vitelotte (Pan-fried veal steak, spiced juice with tonka, mashed potatoes with sesame oil and purple potato chips) for 24€. The sauce with the aroma of tonka bean was lovely and a good accompaniment to the sesame oil mashed potatoes. The purple potato chips seemed a bit superfluous as an addition just for texture.

We first dined here at least 15 years ago, and the food continues to shine -- along with warm and gracious service by staff which works hard to put us English-speakers at ease.

Reviewed 15 May 2017 via mobile

We went with friends who like us are from the USA. They have eaten here each of their seven visits to PARIS and were glad to share it with us. The lunch package for the day was amazingly delicious and a work of art, complete with wine and expression for only $16 per person. The service was great. There are only about 40 seats total so if you go for dinner reservations would be in order. From there we walked to Luxembourg Gardens. Along the way we past reasonably priced stores