“Excellent venue”

Musee des Arts Forains
Ranked #18 of 2,263 things to do in Paris
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Pavillons de Bercy-Musée des Arts Forains house one of the largest collections of entertainment and fairground art's objects. They are located in ancient wine warehouses built by a Gustave Eiffel apprentice in the end of the 19th century. Discover the site and its four venues: Théatre du Merveilleux (Thetre of Marvels), Salons Vénitiens (Venetian Rooms), Théâtre de Verdure (Vegetal outdoor area) and the Musée des Arts Forains (Museum àof Fairground Art), all displayed with themes such as Cabinet of curiosities, Venetian carnival, Extraordinary gardens and funfairs of the Belle Epoque (End of the 19th century). This private museum is opende throughout the year, only by apointement in order to experiment the spirit of the place in a lively and participative tour. The guides takes the visitor on an out of time journey, enables them to ride carousels and listen to an automaton show. The Pavillons de Bercy are opened to visit throughout the year only by appointment. And exceptionnally without booking twice a year during the European Heritage Days and Festival du Merveilleux. All the venues can also be rented for private events.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 15 September 2018

I attended an evening dinner here and it was absolutely brilliant. The rides and games are so much fun. We played a few before dinner and dancing - I’d love to come back again. The food was lovely and the staff very attentive. We weren’t able to ride the carousel but given the amount of alcohol consumed it was probably for the best!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,167)
All reviews
"km hour"
"written information"
"speak french"

Reviewed 31 August 2018

A funny experience with many interesting details, decorations, dolls and machines, especially for children. There is a carousel of horses and another of bicycles. You must book before visiting the museum. We found the price a bit high, due to the museum being not so extensive. My wife and I went during a festival and enjoyed it very much. I also suggest visiting the Parc de Bercy and the Bercy Village, which are nearby.

2  Thank Samuelscunha
Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

I saw a reportage about this museum on a French TV channel and got immediately hooked! We booked a tour in English and our guide was superb - he was enthusiastic, knew his stuff, and delivered quite a performance of Edith Piaf while we rode one of the 19th century carousels the museum boasts! We could try different games and merry-go-rounds that seemed much more fun than modern day fair activities. Probably it was because back then fairs were adults-only places, no kids allowed. And they were for the well off rather than every man. Curiouser and curiouser, to quote Alice in Wonderland.

1  Thank ZorTso
Reviewed 26 July 2018

Incredible museum, but it doesn't feel like a stuffy museum. Equally fun for adults and kids. Our guide was Marie and she passionate and engaging. She made this fun for everyone. I was so surprised that they let you ride these amazing and beautiful carousels and play the vintage games. Your guide takes you through multiple warehouses filled with carnival and theatrical props. This is a unique experience and one that shouldn't be missed! NOTE that you must purchase and reserve your tour online, in advance.

1  Thank soonergirl1991