“Interesting piece of history; unreasonable wait times”

The Catacombs of Paris
Ranked #165 of 2,255 things to do in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: A genuine labyrinth in the heart of underground Paris, the Catacombs were fitted out in the galleries of former quarries. Twenty metres underground, the ossuary houses the remains of approximately six million Parisians, gradually transferred between the end of the 18th century and the mid 19th century, as the capital's cemeteries were closed for health reasons. Along a tangle of dark galleries, visitors discover a presentation of death with bones arranged in a romantic macabre decor. This unique site is a moving testimony to the history of Parisians and invites visitors on a timeless journey.
Reviewed 20 July 2018

My kids and I visited the catacombs at the end of June. We did not have advance tickets, so arrived about 45 mins before opening and joined a growing line. My son took count: there were 121 people in front of us. There is no way to gauge how quickly the line would move once the catacombs opened. Unfortunately, it took much, much longer than anticipated - we entered the catacombs about 1.75 hours after it opened. I feel sorry for the 200+ people that were behind us. For those without advance tickets, entry is as follows: 10 people are admitted at a time, about every five minutes. however, all people with advance tickets and all group tours get immediate entry, so the effect is that for those in line things move very slowly.

Once inside the experience is interesting. Stacks and stacks and stacks of bones, nearly all organized with care and some organized in fun, even whimsical ways. You can meander through at your own pace. We took our time to look at the patterns and whimsy of those charged with relocating two million of Paris's dead.

The catacombs are an intriguing experience, but a nearly two hour wait in the hot summer sun made this trip less enjoyable than it otherwise could have been.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,056)
All reviews
in 49 reviews
"buy tickets"
in 57 reviews

Reviewed 19 July 2018 via mobile

Wow! I didn’t really know what to except. Although a bit eerie this is the best attraction. I would suggest buying tickets in advance. We had tickets for 10:00am, they opened the doors and we were right in. We walked the tunnels checking out all the skulls and bones then come to a bigger opening. There was a guy sitting there and since we were the first of the day we got a special private tour of the area where the bones of the Revolution War victims were kept, it was outstanding! Definitely a unique experience!!

Reviewed 19 July 2018 via mobile

We traveled with 4 children to Paris. My boys absolutely loved the Catacombs. Dark tunnels with bones piled from floor to ceiling the whole way. A little boys dream. Book your tickets in advance because the lines can be hours to buy a ticket.

Reviewed 19 July 2018

I got tickets online for 10 am and there were maybe 15 people in the pre-ticketed line when we arrived. The line to buy tickets wrapped around the corner, so I couldn't even guess to how long it was. Look for a green shed-like entrance with some stanchions to separate lines. The employees that check tickets and give audio guides speak English. My teenage kids appreciated the solemnity. I wouldn't bring kids under 11. I would guess it was 68 F down there, while it was 75 outside.

See more reviews
Reviewed 18 July 2018 via mobile

The place is a bit south of town and other attractions and was a little hard to find. Having a guided tour was a big help. We saw restricted areas and got excellent information about the creation of the catacombs. The tour was overall about 90 minutes and had moderate stairs. You are underground but the path is clear and the halls are well lit and ventilated so we never felt closed in. I would definately recommend to a friend or revisit the attraction. Tour was a good length for kids.