“A truly interesting view on olden days aesthetic preferences”

Musee Art Nouveau Collection 1900 - Maxim's
Ranked #516 of 2,171 things to do in Paris
Reviewed 15 December 2015

Entry fee is 20 euros per person, you get a guided tour (2pm in English) and you can take as many photos as you want!

Before visiting this museum, I only knew Pierre Cardin from his underwear brand. Turns out he's an avid collector as well. We were guided by Veronique Fourcaud, who's actually an actress. She knows the history of the collections pretty well, although she says she's not actually an expert.

On the day I visited, it was the first day for the Marlene Dietrich exhibition, so we got a glimpse before the actual exhibition (which was gonna start at 6pm I think).

The entry fee is indeed pretty expensive, so if you're not interested in Art Nouveau, I don't think you should go. Me and my friend really liked Art Nouveau and we were highly impressed by the collection and especially the meanings behind some pieces.

Souvenir shop is next door, and sells from cheap to expensive. There're chocolates, foie gras in a can, canvas bag, makeup bag/pencil case, wine, etc. The male employee was very friendly and speaks good English as well!

Oh, and if you plan on spending money for fine dining, you might also want to try the restaurant, which opens for dinnertime. I saw some of the menu and I think it can easily cost you 100++ euros, but if you want to splurge, then feel free.

1  Thank Isabella R

Reviewed 3 October 2015

I absolutely love this artistic period of only 15 short years and for lovers of At Nouveau this is a must. The collection is haphazardly presented but charming. I feel like I am at someone's grandma's place. The curator is delightfully over the top. Make sure you turn up at 2pm for the English tour which is essential for this collection. The door is locked to you otherwise! It's expensive (20 E) but worth the cost!

Reviewed 11 September 2015

In 40 minutes I learned more about Art Nouveau, the Belle Epoque lifestyle and Maxim's restaurant than I thought possible. If you are English, show up at 2:00pm most days, and the head of the museum will take you around (on my day, there were only two of us with him). The numerous objects, furniture, clothing and interior decoration are all authentic, and this collection of Pierre Cardin is now housed in the second and third floor apartment above the restaurant, where the owner lived. Learn also about the successful courtesan's lifestyle, and how the restaurant got the necessary finances to become the sumptuous restaurant it is today. The curator is very informative; but ask questions to get a fuller picture. He can easily expand on any of the areas that he touches upon.

3  Thank Edward S
Reviewed 19 July 2015

We are Art Nouveau fans. Everywhere we are looking for Art Nouveau pieces, we have some very nice pieces at home. But what we have seen in Pierre Cardin's collection, that is beyond any immagination. Wonderful, great, amazing, it is hard to find proper words to express what a beautiful collection!

See more reviews
Reviewed 13 June 2015

Pierre Cardin's collection of Art Nouveau is amazing. It's located above Maxim's Restaurant at 3 Rue Royale, behind an anonymous door that you have to be at when your timed tour begins. The curator takes you around and he is expert. Ignore the pretty irritating sexist jokes and focus on his insights into the development of Art Nouveau style. A bonus is that you get to see Maxim's but the collection is stunning and the hour-long tour is well worth the 20 Euros per person.