“Just what was required!”
Review of Sugar Junction

Sugar Junction
Ranked #3 of 50 Dessert in Manchester
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed 19 March 2018

The restaurant where we were going to eat was full, so we were asked to come back in half an hour. As we didn't want to drink alcohol our options for a pre-dinner drink were limited. There were a couple of cafes in the Tib Street area, but they were closed so we were delighted that Sugar Junction was still open at 7.15pm. The ambience is just lovely - quaint and cosy, yet still feeling contemporary. It is a 'retro' cafe, with mismatched china and furniture, but the menu has some interesting soft drink choices as well as teas and coffees. The music playing was, again, unusual for a cafe frequented by young people, but maybe Perry Como is making a comeback....and I appreciated the choice of song!

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

We have been to Sugar Junction a bunch of times - it is definitely one of our favourite places to go and to take visitors who are new to Manchester! It’s very cosy, so you may have to wait for a table (we’ve never had to wait more than 20 mins at most). Personally I think their best stuff is their savoury breakfast foods - great veggie options. Other foods may be more hit and miss.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

Cute tearoom very nice pottery. Good tea and delicious cakes. It gets a bit busy so not easy to find a table. The staff is nice.

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

We went here yesterday to celebrate Mothers Day as a party of six after my daughter had visited once for tea & cake.There are so many things that are being done right at this cafe but sadly a few things that need attention as it’s letting them down.
One of our party was late as they’d been stuck in traffic due to the St Patrick’s Day parade and the staff were very accommodating and told us there was no rush & to relax which was great. We ordered afternoon tea with prosecco which was beautifully presented in vintage glasses with little flowers in and my son had the most delicious Oreo milkshake. The problems started as the food arrived! Again, well presented on sandwich tiers/stands. The sandwiches were a great disappointment as they were great hulks of mini barmcakes cut in half & served open and not daintily cut finger sandwiches. There was no brown bread option and the smoked salmon was very gristly. They told us the ham would be served with salad, there was none, and all of us chose the Brie&cranberry which when it arrived turned out to be some sort of white cheese possibly Wensleydale but unsure and smeared with chilli chutney!! We complained about the sandwiches and said they were awful but they just offered to make us more of the same!!
The cheesecake mousse (waitresses description) did not taste like cheesecake at all & the base was a few chopped dried bananas. Not very good at all. The scones were quite tasty though thank you. Unfortunately the cake seemed to have been pre sliced and left out in the open as it was quite dry.
On the up side the tea was delicious and there was plenty of it. My son asked for an espresso which was served in a full sized cup and therefore looked like the dregs of someone’s black coffee although he said it tasted ok.
Just a few little tweaks would help immensely and at £22 a person you need to sort out your sandwiches. I left your place hungry, as I could not eat the bread you served, not good when you’ve supposedly had a full afternoon tea.
Also we were sat downstairs where the loo is. You need to put a sign on the door requesting patrons ensure the door is kept closed. Quite a strong smell of drains when the door was left ajar and we got up a few times to close it.
The staff were pleasant enough but mixing up Brie & cranberry with a non descript bland white cheese& chilli takes some doing. My mum & daughters MIL both cannot tolerate chilli but luckily we realised before either of them attempted to try it. Could’ve been much worse! I doubt we’ll be back.

Reviewed 12 March 2018

Yesterday 6 of us were booked in for afternoon tea for Mothers Day. They should have told us when we arrived sorry we have run out of x, y and z and we could have gone elsewhere, but they did not do this. The sandwich choice was egg n cress, ham and salad, cranberry and Brie and salmon and Brie but no choice of bread , only white.
When the plates came the sandwiches were half an open small t cake which looked very scruffy. The ham had no salad on them just a small pieces of ham , the waitress when questioned said they had run out of salad but had not had the courtesy to tell us. When we took a bite of the cranberry and Brie it was a shock as it was chilli sauce. Yes chilli sauce !!!!! I personally can't eat anything spicy and the waitress said nothing when she brought out the sandwiches. When we questioned her apparently they had run out of cranberry and thought it acceptable to just put chilli on them and not say anything. Did they think we wouldn't notice !!!!!!! They took the chilli sandwiches away and brought just cheese but not even Brie the cheese was Lancashire with nothing else on it. They had made in a tiny jar banana mousse with a cheesecake base. Slight problem the spoon was to big for the jar so used our teaspoons. The base was not a biscuit base but coconut and I dislike coconut. If I had known I would not have even tried it. The chocolate tart was just dark chocolate melted then reset in a pastry base far to rich. The sponge cake looked like I had made it and I can not bake, not pleasing to the eye and definitely tasteless.The only food item on the entire afternoon tea plate that tasted lovely were the scones. We complained to the manager but she took nothing off the bill and with drinks and afternoon tea for 6 it was £91, not good customer service and not good food either. You can not say cranberry and bring out chilli without saying anything, bring just ham with no salad and think it's acceptable. My daughter in law will be complaining to the cafe. She was disappointed as it was ment to be a special afternoon tea but unfortunately Sugar Junction do not know what an afternoon tea includes and is totally wrong to just change the menu, serve it to you without saying a word. Will not be recommending you Sugar Junction, would love a reply with an explanation from the manager.

1  Thank Julia W