The Principal Manchester
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street(Manchester)(Great Value!)
US$74
  • Breakfast included
US$199
US$125
  • Pool
The Pendulum Hotel(Manchester)(Great Value!)
US$72
US$59
US$52
US$49
  • Restaurant
Princess St. Hotel(Manchester)(Great Value!)
US$83
US$97
US$93
  • Restaurant
Travelodge Manchester Central Arena(Manchester)(Great Value!)
US$53
US$43
Travelodge
  • Bar/Lounge
Travelodge Manchester Upper Brook Street(Manchester)(Great Value!)
US$45
Travelodge
1,062 results
All reviewstuck boxwinter gardenelemis toiletriesreal milkinsurance companyrefuge assuranceamazing buildingfresh milk in the fridgestunning hotelperiod featuresoriginal featuresdeluxe roomoxford road train stationpalace theatrebeautiful roomlittle touchesbirthday treat
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

After being impressed by the hotels period features when I attended a conference there my husband and I decided to book a room for our most recent stay in Manchester. We had originally booked a superior room but decided to upgrade to a deluxe room as the website described these rooms as “More spacious that our Superior rooms, Deluxe rooms are some of the best in the house, with double-heighted ceilings and period detailing. All rooms have a larger working space with two chairs and a table.”

When we checked into the room we were convinced it was a superior as did not have double-heighted ceilings, period detailing or a larger working space. My husband called down to reception to check and the woman assured us that this was a deluxe room, she then said something vague about our room having to be changed as there was a party going on in another part of the hotel so they felt we would be happier here. A few minutes later we had to call down again as we noticed the robes were missing from the room, these were promptly brought up which was good but we decided to go to reception as we were not impressed with the room. The woman on reception again told us this room was a deluxe room – my husband said that we had upgraded to a deluxe for the period features, she seemed confused by this and when we described some of the photos of the rooms on the website which showed rooms with wood panelling she said there were no such rooms in the hotel (these are clearly shown on the ‘deluxe rooms’ section of the website.) She eventually showed us an alternative room which was slightly bigger but was a disabled access room with no bath so we decided to remain in our original room.

The original room was lovely and we have no serious complaints about the design or features however we felt it was overpriced for what it was and quite average. We also felt very disappointed that there were no original features, as advertised on the website. As our stay progressed we noticed a few other details lacking, most shocking was that there was no heating or air conditioning. We were really cold upon arrival and found only an electric heater inside the wardrobe (photo provided!) This was not great and didn’t make much difference to the temperature of the room. I understand this is an old hotel but we have stayed in much older which had heating in the rooms! You also have to walk through the bar to get to the lifts to go to most of the rooms (depending on which part of the building you are in) which is annoying as we found it to be very noisy constantly. Another thing to bear in mind is that as this is a city centre hotel you are right on the main road, our room was quite noisy with the sound of traffic.

Pros were: everything was quite clean (some stains to curtains and bathroom fixtures) There was a ‘tuck box’ provided in the room as well as tea, coffee and water which was a nice touch. The bed was very comfortable and the bed linen soft. The breakfast was nice and there was quite a good selection of hot and cold options.

The hotel itself is a beautiful building with great features but I feel they rely too much on this and the prices are too expensive for what they are. Be wary of the descriptions on the website as they are not completely accurate, as this is an old building the rooms vary quite a lot so what you see on the website may not be what you get. Overall we couldn’t help but feel a little ripped off and underwhelmed.

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
Peter K, General Manager at The Principal Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear rachietown,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback in regards to your recent stay at The Principal Manchester.

I am naturally very sorry to read that the room allocated did not meet with your satisfaction and that we were unable to deliver the consistency of standards that we always aim to deliver to our guests.

In regards to our rooms I would like to inform you that we have 270 rooms including suites and junior suites, all our rooms are different in décor, size and allocation. There is not too much difference between our Superior and Deluxe double rooms, except that some of our deluxe rooms are better allocated making them look slightly bigger, all have high ceilings and king as well as super king size beds.

Kindly be assured that delivering good experiences to our guests is certainly our main objective and sincerely hope that this recent experience has not deterred you from returning to The Principal Hotel as it would be a pleasure to be able to restore your confidence back.

Peter Kienast

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I loved my stay at the Principal. Apart from being a really well designed hotel with great original features, every single member of staff we came into contact with was outstanding: from the reception to breakfast the staff were attentive and had a really positive attitude which isn’t always the case.

Great to have nice finishing touches - good toiletries, very well-equipped gym with showers and towels.

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank B P

Dear B P,

I was delighted to read your kind review on your recent stay at The Principal Hotel in Manchester.

It is always gratifying to know that we have met with our guests expectations and I am very pleased to know that you’ve experienced a pleasant stay with us.

On my behalf and of my team I look forward to welcoming you back.

Peter Kienast - General manager

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for one night as a birthday treat! We couldn’t fault a thing, the staff are all very accommodating and couldn’t do enough for us. As it was my birthday I was delighted to find out that we had been upgraded and that inside our beautiful room was a complimentary bottle of bubbles!! The hotel itself is beautiful, the room very clean, spacious and modern. We had drinks in the hotel bar in the evening, loved it, great music and atmosphere. Breakfast was delicious, plenty of choice and waitress was very friendly and attentive. We really can’t recommend this hotel highly enough. Thanks for a fabulous stay! X

Stayed: April 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Howell78

Dear Howell78,

I sincerely appreciate your generous feedback in regards to your recent stay at The Principal Manchester.

I was amazed to read your kind compliments towards our level of services as well as towards our amazing building and members of staff.

It is definitely with great pleasure that I thank you for making us you hotel of choice in Manchester.

In the meantime we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Peter Kienast - General Manager

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My mum and I stayed two nights in a deluxe double room and really enjoyed our experience. Check in and check out was smooth, the staff was attentive and the room was very modern and clean. Our favorite was the The Refuge below which is beautiful and offers a great menu of food and drinks. We enjoyed several delicious late night cocktails. Absolutely recommend!

Stayed: March 2018, traveled with family
2  Thank jlowecjordan

Dear jlowecjordan,

On my behalf and of my team I look forward to welcoming you back.

Peter Kienast - General Manager

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I'm from Manchester so was visiting family and partying.

We paid for a double room through booking.com when we arrived early they upgraded us to a deluxe room huge with walk in shower bathroom and a fire place.
2 double beds ..tuck box .mini fridge with free water milk etc.

I'm only rating 4 stars because the lighting was dark, and there was no big mirrors for me to get ready..I did get one brought to my room also there isn't enough sockets for plugs.

The gym is fantastic and free..brilliant treadmill.

But that is only a small minus, the refuge bar is amazing .we were in there most nights we always retired back in there after our nights out when we came back.even doggies are allowed in this hotel.such a funky trendy place.
We didn't have brekkie we went to Tesco down the road and we went Wetherspoons.

Staff are amazing and really do go out of there way.
The tv has built in internet so we watched YouTube etc.
The bedding was amazing fluffy feather pillows and gorgeous quilt, slept like a baby.

If I can recommend a bar try 20 stories in spinningfields terrace top floor has views to die for (see pics), tattu was very expensive and we won't go again, it wasn't that expensive last year.

If you like metal and rock try the grand central for cheap drinks over the road.

We had Sunday lunch yesterday at the the English lounge side of the arndale cheap lovely Sunday dinner.
We also had tapas in the brilliant food hall in the arndale on the Saturday was very reasonable it was called la bandera

We walked up to deansgate pub last night which was fairly quite but it was a chilled night and we retired back in our hotel bar.

So in summary do visit this hotel it's quirky massive and extremely comfortable.

Stayed: April 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kazz36

Dear kazz36,

Thank you for sharing your detailed feedback. I am delighted to read you have enjoyed our hotel and Manchester.

We do hope to welcome you back in the future.

Peter Kienast