“Mother's Day Afternoon Tea”

The Bar & Lounge at The Midland
Ranked #652 of 2,467 Restaurants in Manchester
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Every year I take my mum for Afternoon Tea on Mother's Day. This year I decided to choose The Midland as I'd heard very good things.
We both thoroughly enjoyed our time and the food and cakes were delicious. My mother stuck with traditional breakfast tea but I got the peppermint with a hint of caramel tea which was exquisite. It was very expensive (£70 for some small cakes and finger sandwiches)
The only issue was and the atmosphere was very stuck up and pretentious. The cost isn't an issue as I wanted to treat my mum so I didn't mind that aspect but the atmosphere definitely put us off from going there again - it was full of snooty people who think they're better than everyone.. staff included.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Stopped for a quiet cocktail with my wife. The staff were very nice and polite and the cocktails took a while but were nice. The cocktails were £10 each which is approximately £3 dearer than anywhere else. The issue is not the price but the 10% service charge on the bill. There was no mention of this prior to ordering the drinks. Won't be recommending this bar to anyone.

Reviewed 20 March 2018

We arrived without a booking, looking rather bedraggled, after walking around Manchester in the wind and snow all day, but the staff could not have been more welcoming and polite. A wonderful afternoon tea was served in sumptuous surroundings and I could not fault the food, service or attitude of the staff.
We are so grateful.

1  Thank Teresa L
Reviewed 9 March 2018

Traditional hotel tea room with discreet and attentive service. Sandwiches were very good, cakes also very good. Scones both plain and fruit were a good size and most importantly came with a decent amount of clotted cream! Silver service for the jams and you can choose from strawberry, raspberry, gooseberry or lemon curd (or all 41) Try the Victoria Sponge flavoured tea (without milk) Its a great accompaniment to the savoury elements and then once you are on the sweet elements switch to the 1903 blend tea.

1  Thank Trevor C
Reviewed 4 February 2018

everything from soup and sandwiches to burgers,fish and chips on the menu. Well presented, full of flavour. Nothing to much trouble, excellent service

1  Thank gillgreenhalgh