“Tasty food, great service and a little something different than run of the mill chains”

Frederic Cafe Bistro
Ranked #4 of 344 Restaurants in Maidstone
Price range: US$7 - US$28
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Small independent cafe-bistro serving provincial French "peasant food" - This is not fine dining! Its loud, noisy and rustic.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My wife and i popped in for lunch as we wanted something different, the atmosphere was nice, the decor quirky and the food lovely.
When you first look at the menu you could think that it is a bit pricey but when you see the portion size you quickly realise it is not.
You are paying for freshly cooked quality food. I honestly cannot see myself having lunch anywhere else. Now going to book for the evening.

1  Thank Tony C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,192)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had waited since December to finally get to Frederic’s partly because it is very busy and partly due to our own unforeseen commitments. It is necessary to book several weeks in advance or take a chance on a table becoming free.
If you have ever eaten in a French bistro then you realise immediately on entering Frederic’s that this is exactly the atmosphere, decor and ambiance that has been created here. We arrived at 6.45pm on Saturday and it was already busy. The wine list does not need to use brand names if our choice of both red and white is anything to go by. It is all good and reasonably priced. The main event was the food, presented and served well and having that magical taste of France. Every dish was savoured and complimented on by each of our party of four. The steak and duck dishes were melt in the mouth moist meat, the starters and deserts both imaginative and incredibly tasty. I must sing special praise for the apricot and pistachio tart which was packed full of pistachios and not that little crumb of broken nut on top. Amazing!
All round a superb evening, thank you.

3  Thank smithsatweavering
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Always amazing food, very friendly people. Have been coming here since they opened and won't eat / drink anywhere else. As an independent trader, they are worth supporting as they really have upped the game of eateries and restaurants in Maidstone .

1  Thank Kirsty S
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I went here for dinner with some friends. I had smoke salmon on toast as a starter, which was the best I’ve ever had.

Just after the starter, a live acoustic musician called Fred Clark started playing. This was great as it added to the already relaxed and comfortable atmosphere.

I had the beef bourguignon for the main course, which again was fantastic.

The restaurant was very quick with the food and it was all cooked to perfection. The staff were friendly, welcoming and happy to chat.

The is a shop type area around the side where you can purchase all sorts of wines and other beverages. We managed to come away with 3 bottles of local gin which we’d sampled during the meal and were impressed with.

Can’t wait to go back.

1  Thank Alex_Merlin
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Nice venue for lunch. My son and I dropped in one Monday lunchtime. It was lovely to eat in an individual restaurant as opposed to the usual chains. The decor was Parisienne Cafe style, the side with the wine bottles seems to be more cosy and nicer. I had the baked camembert with bread and chutney. Camembert and chutney were very tasty but the bread was pretty ordinary. My son had an omelette with chips which was ok. We had been highly recommended to this bistro but found the food a little pedestrian. The staff were really lovely, very welcoming and anywhere that sells Prosecco by the glass gets my vote. I am sure if we had made better choices of food it may have been more enjoyable, the Bistro had come highly recommended but we were a little disappointed.

1  Thank Katie E