“Took a punt, got a result.....”

The Grove At Walcot
Ranked #8 of 315 Restaurants in Telford
Price range: US$10 - US$34
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: We specialise in the black rock grill, steaks cook at the table on a lava rock,serving only the best extra mature Aberdeen Angus and wild steaks and have a huge selection of home made desserts and serve afternoon tea from 3pm on a Sundays. For afternoon teas bookings only.
Reviewed 21 April 2017

The good lady wife and I had been meaning to go to The Grove for ages, so we took a punt on Saturday night. We should have booked as it was busy, but the gent behind the bar was great and accommodated us. My wife was amazed by the dessert cabinets (better than the photos) and my evening got even better when I saw the local Salopian brewery real ales were on tap.
We'd read about how you can cook your own steaks on the rock, but the choice is so much more than just steaks. In the end the wife had the sirloin steak on the rock and I had the homemade steak and ale pie. Honestly, it was fantastic...proper portions of succulent meat and crumbly pastry with great homemade chips and gravy. The steak was thick, yet so soft and the wife really enjoyed the cooking experience and the smell of fresh steak sizzling away as you tuck in to the gorgeous chips and salads. Like the mains menu there was a massive choice of desserts and they all looked tempting, but in the end I devoured a banoffee waffle which I was amazed at considering the size of the portion which also came with cream and ice-cream. The wife had a Baileys cheesecake which she couldn't finish, so the staff kindly wrapped it for us to take home.
The Grove isn't one of those bland generic 2 for 1 pubs, it is a brilliant country restaurant, serving unique and great homemade food and drink We will have to come back to simply work our way through the menu choices!!! A great night, thank you to all at The Grove.

keever0, Owner at The Grove At Walcot, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2017

thankyou for your review , look forward to seeing you soon, we are adding to our pie selection , and are always adding to our desserts lesley

Reviewed 21 April 2017

This is the second brilliant meal I've experienced here.
I've never reviewed before but I had to this time, because it is excellent. I had the 30 ounce steak (medium rare) great value and brilliantly cooked. And just a note foe the lovely staff and quaint pub just go and try it. You won't be disappointed

many thanks for your review and pleased you enjoyed your steak with us lesley

Reviewed 21 April 2017 via mobile

We visited this beautiful establishment after coming across it on a country drive. I very rarely leave comments but I felt compelled to about this place.

We were met with the most warmest of welcomes and our every need was met. The staff are an absolute credit to the owners, well done!

The food was beyond delicious and the puddings are what dreams are made of.

I cannot recommend this beautiful place enough. What a fantastic find for us. Will most certainly be visiting again!

thankyou so much for taking the time to write a super review , we think our staff are wonderful to lesley

Reviewed 21 April 2017 via mobile

Went for a meal with my family had lovely meal. Was excellent value for money. Found all the staff very helpful and friendly. Would definitely recommend the Grove to my friends.

thankyou so much for writing a review , we really appreciate it lesley

Reviewed 21 April 2017

We came here after reading the reviews on trip advisor on a Friday night. We pre-booked and i'm glad we had as it was busy. We walked in to first an amazing array of desserts (which are that inviting we were all deciding what we wanted before we had even looked at the main meal options!) and then had a friendly greeting from the staff and was quickly shown to our table where menus were provided. It took a while to choose what we all wanted as there is such a range. We had olives and bread, deep fried camembert and mushrooms to start with, all of which were lovely and good sizes. For mains, between five of us, we had the fish and chips, burger and the other three had a variety of the steaks on the Black Rock. This was a unique experience as we could all cook the steak exactly how we liked it and also cook the tomato and onions that came with it on the rock. The steak was the nicest steak we had ever tasted. I am not normally a big fan of chips, however these were lovely - proper home-cooked chips. The burger was great and the fish was large in beautiful crunchy batter. The home-made coleslaw was a nice addition with the salad (at least you felt like you were eating something a bit healthier before we were going to pile into the desserts!). By this point we were quite full but as we had already been tempted by the desserts we couldn't resist, however we ate three between us and then took another three home for the next day. We had Key Lime Pie, Bannoffee Pie and Chocolate Cheesecake. I cant say much more than WOW, these are what you call desserts. We left feeling very full and enjoyed the whole evening. The staff were helpful but you didn't feel like they were watching over your shoulder for you to hurry up and it was a lovely country setting restaurant. We will definitely be coming back.

thankyou for taking the time to write a lovey review , and look forward to seeing you again soon lesley