“Excelllent steakhouse ”
Review of Belfry Steakhouse

Belfry Steakhouse
Ranked #106 of 672 Restaurants in Derby
Price range: US$26 - US$32
Description: Hosted in the beautifully refurbished Old Bell Hotel, the Belfry Steakhouse is a collection of intimate dining rooms and bars that capture the essence of traditional steakhouses. Experience some of the best British beef cooked to perfection by our expert Chefs using the finest local produce. We care about our ingredients to bring you the best flavours served by people who love what they do.
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Superb place great decor cosy intimate feel service excellent and steaks superb. The highlight for me though was the wild mushroom sauce with my steak it was out of this world and my wife and I would certainly return.

Belfry S, Manager at Belfry Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2018

Thank you for your lovely comments. We will certainly pass on your feedback about the wild mushroom sauce, our chef has spent many hours perfecting it! We look forward to seeing you again soon. Kind regards, The Belfry Team

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

This place is where to go for steak in derby! The food is amazing and the staff really friendly and helpful. It’s also the place to get your Sunday dinner from....delivered to your door!! We have been here 4 times in the last 12 months and every time it’s been great!

Thank you for your lovely review. We were thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed the steaks as well as The Old Bell's new Sunday lunch delivery. We look forward to seeing you again soon! Kind regards, The Belfry Team

Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

I’ve had many steaks in many different restaurants. Tonight was quite simply the best. Truly wonderful

Hi James, thank you for ranking our steaks so highly! We work hard to make sure we have some of the best steaks around and we're thrilled to hear that you really enjoyed it. We hope to see you again soon. Kind regards, The Belfry Team

Reviewed 11 February 2018

I like steak, I went to this restaurant in order to eat steak, I was not disappointed, they sell steak and cook it well, but then it is a steakhouse (not sure what some other reviewers were expecting). The venue is an ancient pub in the process of being restored and is very atmospheric and the ambience is aided by the relaxed service. The steak is good, the lamb neck starter was really very good, the beer was interesting and good - delicious chocolatey stout and a orange/herby cloudy wheat beer I had were fab. I would pay good money for the chips and the fries. The seasonal veg is nothing of the sort but I will let them off as it was well cooked (not over) and not over buttered or over seasoned. I probably wouldn't have the paprika rub again - a bit too strong a flavour, the garlic and herb rub was fab. The pub downstairs does great range of real ale including 3 third pint glasses if you cant decide which you want.

Paul H, Manager at Belfry Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2018

Thank you for your incredible review and feedback. We're glad to hear you enjoyed our steaks and historic venue. To let you into a secret our signature Belfry chips take 3 days to prepare just so they're at a standard where our chef is happy to put them next to our steaks.

Reviewed 11 February 2018

We visited the Belfry Steakhouse as my OH is an enthusiastic carnivore, and as a Pescetarian I knew I was likely to be less well catered for here. Or so I thought! We ate late as the restaurant was busy, the room we were sat in was a mix of contemporary and antique decor, it is a very old building so I thought it had been renovated reasonably sensitively.

Our waitress took our drink and menu choices quickly and we were pleased they stocked my favourite gin, and two of OH's beloved IPA favourites too.
Our starters of crab salad and lamb bon bons went down well, this establishment does like it's microgreens though, every dish bar the steak had some on!

The nice surprise was my haddock dish; a previous reviewer requested it served minus the bacon, and I did likewise, and ordered some parmesan mash as well as I thought the lentil salad it came with with was an odd accompaniment, but how wrong I was! Two beautifully succulent fillets of haddock came served on a wonderfully tasty, stew of lentils, mushrooms and other deliciousness, it was the highlight of my meal. I didn't eat the microgreens piled on top, they didn't compliment the dish.

OH simple fillet arrived...and had to go back, overcooked. The replacement steak was superb, so not sure what happened the first time! He loved the huge chips, but all the large crystals of sea salt seasoning was in the bottom of the soup tureen (why ?) they were served in, they were a bit bland until he found that.

Only OH could manage dessert, his poached pear was tasty, served with an outstanding pear sorbet, but the coulis was a bit too sweet for his taste and he has a sweet tooth. Beetroot microgreens on dessert.....he was not a fan, visually pleasing, but too earthy a taste to be truly complimentary.

Overall, the restaurant is fine, delivers exactly was it says on the tin, we were pleasantly full and happy to tip our pleasant waitress, so overall three and a half stars.

1  Thank shobby133

Thank you for your review and thank you for the incredible detail. We take the quality of our food and drink very seriously so thank you for your in-depth review. We're sorry to hear some aspects didn't meet your standards and we're saddened by that. We've recently revamped our entire menu with new flavours, dishes and even more choice so we hope to see you again soon.