“Anniversary dinner a deux!”
Review of The Chubby Castor

The Chubby Castor
Ranked #155 of 474 Restaurants in Peterborough
Price range: US$26 - US$66
Description: Presented as civilised dining with focus on fresh and locally sourced produce, cooked in a modern British way. Diners can expect a relaxed atmosphere, a blend of modern and vintage, complementing the beautiful areas of Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire. Family, friends or corporate, accommodated in bar, main dining area or Private Rooms.
Reviewed 4 April 2018

We were dying to try this new restaurant having read the chef's impressive credentials, so we booked in for dinner to celebrate our anniversary. We definately were not disappointed. Whilst it's expensive, it is so worth it. It was perfection from start to finish. Service was impeccable and not too over-eager, the food was superb with a nice varied and different menu, and the extra touches made it all the more special. I would definately come back again.

1  Thank annacsanderson

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Firstly I’d like to say it’s fantastic to have the Fitzwilliam Arms building occupied in the village and I want nothing more than ‘The Chubby Castor’ to be successfully! However I am feeling quiet disappointed by our first visit and ‘attempted’ second visit.

As we live in the Castor Village, I decided to buy my partner ‘Ivory Club Membership’ as his birthday present and we were both quiet looking forward to a bit of ‘exclusive treatment’ We had no official communication regarding opening dates etc (not a great start as what are we paying membership for?) but I however noticed on Facebook they were doing a ‘soft launch’ I tried to make a reservation for Valentine’s Day just to be told they were fully booked, just to find out they had opened the doors fully to the general public, which in honesty I have no problem with, but when you have paid the best part of £100 for ‘membership’ should ‘members’ not have been given first refusal or maybe received an email saying ‘now taking Valentine’s Day bookings! Book within the next 24 hours to avoid disappointment?’

Anyway, we managed to book for dinner on the 15th instead. We went around 30mins early to try out the bar which is quiet nice. There was no cocktail menu or anything special but the draft beer and glass of Prosecco were quiet good if a little pricey! We had the seafood sharing starter which was actually really good! And my partner had beef for main which was also good, nothing special, but my main was laughable. I ordered veggie as the only other options were red meat or fish and because we’d just had fish I thought I’d go for the ‘broccoli’ and it was quiet frankly a broccoli cut in half and roasted. The tips were singed and the stalk inedible. My partner had the soufflé to finish which he said was brilliant and I had the cheeses which were also really good! I enjoyed the different cheeses they had which you don’t find very often in restaurants. All in all an ok experience, but quiet nice as we were literally in walking distance from our house.

So a few weeks past and we have some family visiting the weekend after Easter. I think brilliant we can walk to ‘The Chubby Castor’ and try out their Sunday lunch - after all we are members! I called to make a reservation for 6 adults and my 2 year old so asked for a high chair to be told they don’t have any high chairs and have a ‘NO CHILDREN UNDER 8 YEARS OLD POLICY!’ I was so gobsmacked, I said thanks we will find somewhere else. She called back 5 mins later and said maybe we could put you somewhere else, I said no thanks ‘what am I going to do with a 2 year old and no high chair?’ And I wouldn’t feel comfortable or welcomed knowing they didn’t really want children under the age of 8 in their restaurant! This wasn’t a reservation for 8pm on a Thursday night, this reservation was for 12noon on a Sunday!

A huge disappointment for a ‘village restaurant!’

9  Thank Leehaa2013
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Went for dinner at Chubby’s recently, and were fairly underwhelmed. On arrival we were greeted by a pleasant young lady who took our coats, fine...then we waited several minutes at the bar to get served despite there being only 2 other guests who had their drinks already, then 2 more guests arrived who got served before us! .. not a great start.
Unfortunately, the barman, who was pleasant enough, didn’t speak English very well, and it didn’t have an engaging welcome feel.
We ordered asparagus with a crispy deep fried egg, and were told that the chef could only do poached eggs this evening if that was ok, we said ok and the starters came which were very nice, would have liked to have experienced the deep fried egg, because we enjoy great poached eggs at home all the time!
There were 4 of us at the table, and an “ amuse bouche “ arrived in 2 small bowls which were placed in front of 2 of the guests, but it was for all 4, and we weren’t told... fortunately we realised in time, and shared them...also very nice.
My wife ordered sole(on the menu for 1 to 2 people at £36) which she enjoyed, but no way this would feed 2 people. I ordered the rack of lamb and got 2 tiny cutlets which were slightly over cooked.. not pink @ £29 ) vegetables weren’t included so we ordered some potatoes which were” on the house”.. nice gesture, but at £65 for 2 main courses I think it wouldn’t damage the GP too much!We enjoyed the wine , and the restaurant was warm and comfortable. The bill was £312.84p for 4 which included a 12.5% service charge and the waiter was careful to ensure that he got the 84p.
We dine out frequently, and chose Chubby’s over the George at Stamford for a change, but think the George will see us next time. I hope Chubby’s succeeds, because we enjoy eating at different locations, but things need to change for it to do so, because in this area people expect better value for money, and at these prices things should be better.

5  Thank martin t
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Lovely lunch in delightful restaurant with charming staff. We had the lunch menu and both enjoyed our three courses. Looking forward to visiting again. Definitely a special venue for celebrating special events.

1  Thank Judith W
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

No complaints at all from our table of 4 for Sunday lunch on Easter Day. We all thought that the food and the service was excellent, especially for a new restaurant. We will definitely be back