“Lovely location with a great cocktail menu”

The Munster Room Restaurant
Ranked #29 of 188 Restaurants in Waterford
Price range: US$55 - US$92
Cuisines: French, Irish
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Island Resort’s 16th Century Castle offers the very best of Irish hospitality. Dining at Waterford Castle provides an opportunity to taste the best of traditional and contemporary Irish cuisine. The Munster Room Restaurant at Waterford Castle is Critically acclaimed in the Michelin Guide and holder of two AA Rosettes. The award-winning culinary team under the direction of The Resort Head Chef, who was recently honored with the “Best Chef of Ireland 2017” by The YesChef Ireland, use only the finest local produce to create a truly memorable fine dining experience.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My husband and I came here for dinner last week and while the location is beautiful, we were a bit disappointed with the food and the service. On arrival we went to the bar for a drink and I have to say the cocktails were fab! As I was not drinking the barman was really great in advising on non-alcoholic cocktails and he created the most amazing raspberry cocktail and a passionfruit cocktail - absolutely heaven. I have to give the barman 10/10 for this. We then made our way to the restaurant for dinner and were shown to our table. For starters I chose the smoked haddock and broccoli veloute and my husband had the garlic ravioli. Both were nice and tasty. For mains I had the cod and my husband had the lamb. When the mains came out they were only lukewarm and to be honest both were a bit bland and we were disappointed with our choices as we had expected more. Also I had to ask for more water on a number of times, as the waiters seemed not to be paying attention - a bit frustrating as I was not drinking as it was clear this was due to me being pregnant. There were 3 waiters standing at the top of the room chatting and I didn't feel they were paying attention to the diners. Also my husband ordered a glass of wine which was small to say the least which we felt was a bit miserly given the price. For dessert I chose the white chocolate mousse which was delicious and was a lovely way to finish and my husband had the orange tart which was also lovely. So all in all a mixed experience, which was a pity as we had expected more. I think the service needs improvement to bring this in line with the other excellent restaurants in the area.

Reviewed March 13, 2018

This is the best restaurant in the Munster region. Dinner is 60 euro per person but well worth the price. We were staying at the castle and retired to our room afterwards but even if you are not staying at the castle it is a great place to have a meal.

Reviewed March 1, 2018

Had an amazing meal with attentive and knowledgable staff- excellent food.Great atmosphere and lovely to walk around the castle grounds before dinner and have a pre dinner drink in front of the grand fireplace.

Reviewed October 19, 2017

Four of us, all family, stayed for two nights at Waterford Castle Hotel, where this restaurant is located. Having read rave reviews, I sent an e-mail before arrival,enquiring about the dress code, and was told that jacket and tie were essential. This was the only establishment where this was required on our holiday, but I packed jacket, tie and black shoes, and traipsed them over from South Africa. We were all very irritated to find that, on the first night, we were the only people wearing ties and jackets and, on the second night, they even admitted patrons with T-shirts and pushing a baby carriage! Fortunately,the baby was quite good but, if a restaurant demands a dress code, they must stick to it,as it is an irritant for those who bother to do so. This, however, does not detract from the fact that this is an outstanding restaurant. The service is superb, and the table beautifully appointed. The wine list is also very good. During our two days we were very well looked after by Fiona King, Cathal and David. We all had different dishes, and they were exceptional. When we arrived on the second night, we expressed slight dismay that the menu( which is, thankfully, not extensive) was the same as the previous night. Fiona consulted the chef, and we were offered monkfish. When it arrived, it was as good as any fish I have eaten anywhere in the world. If asked by anyone where I would have dinner in Waterford, this is it. It is an expensive restaurant- as is the hotel- but it was worth every cent. Very highly recommended. TonyC Hilton.

Reviewed September 22, 2017

Our breakfast was included in our "Romantic Getaway" package at Waterford Castle. Excellent, and attentive servers!

TheIslandResort, Guest Relations Manager at The Munster Room Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your wonderful review of our property. Our team are thrilled to hear your kind words. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back as valued Waterford Castle family member and welcome you to enjoy the exciting new experiences we are creating for you in 2018.

Please contact us directly for the best possible rates for your return visit.
t. 051 878 203 e.info@waterfordcastleresort.com