All reviews traditional music haggis lasagne main building main bar pub grub enchanted forest train station beautiful pitlochry no lift short break friendly hotel lovely meal good nights sleep nice room family room two night stay shower room
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Well.....the squeaky floorboards in the room above and in the hall outside were VERY loud. thought someone was trying to get in the door and walking into our room it was that loud! Please think about fixing this problem. The only downside was that our friends were in the annexe across the road and it was very disappointing not to have our group all together. This was not pointed out at time of booking (easily booked 4 mths ago) and had ample time to accomodate all in party! The drink was wayyyy overpriced. Bit of a ripoff there, so didnt stay in hotel after dinner, there are much cheaper pubs in the area.
The meal at night was really tasty. Restaurant very busy so good atmosphere. Breakfast in the morning was ample and hot served in no time at all. Staff efficient and friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Dont pick the Dallas Dhu room because of the floorboards above
  • Stayed: March 2018, traveled with friends
1  Thank Harrys_girl2014
Reviewed 30 March 2018

Busy hotel, not as quaint as we expected. We were placed on the second floor of the overspill building across the main road (above the Scozia restaurant). On balance I have to say although the room was clean, it was not that attractive and small ish. and certainly not suitable for dog owning guests. However some areas of the main building seemed fine so maybe??? Of two breakfasts the quality was a bit variable but OK on the best day. On leaving we were told that the overspill facilities and our room were mentioned and illustrated on the hotel web-site; I have now checked but can find no such information.

Room Tip: Ensure you understand which room you will get before you book.
  • Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2018

I've visited Pitlochry a lot but this was my first stay at the hotel. I was impressed, the standard of room was excellent for the price. A good size, clean and comfortable. There is no question, my wife and I will be staying here again.
I've always enjoyed spending an afternoon in the bar. The food is good, the staff attentive and pleasant. With the fire going, its a very cozy pub on a cold afternoon.
Just one point has stopped this report being 'excellent'. You let yourself down at breakfast time. With only one waitress, the time for our table to be set and then served was unacceptable. I realise there was a beer delivery occurring at the same time and there were quite a few guests in the restaurant at the time but you need to ensure you have enough staff to cope with such occurrences. Otherwise the breakfast itself was great.

Room Tip: Larger bedrooms appear to be situated across the road above the Italian restaurant
  • Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple
AJMCK2607, General Manager at McKays Hotel, Bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2018

Good Evening kgt36,

Thank you very much for your glowing review! I am very pleased to read your stay was an enjoyable one for you and your wife. We take pride in our excellent customer service, food and room standards.

However I have taken note of the time you waited for your breakfast. As you picked up on, we did have a delivery that morning which does interfere with some aspects of the service sometimes, however I have taken on board your comment and will make sure I rectify this small error.

Thank you again for taking the time to review McKays Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you both back in the near future.

Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

Very nice hotel. Could do with a bit more care (rip in bed cover and some minor holes in the walls). Staff were all friendly and the food was really good quality. Room was clean with freeview tv and tea and coffee facilties. Definitely recommend.

Stayed: March 2018, traveled as a couple

Good Evening Morgan W,

Thank you very much for your review! I am very pleased to read your stay was an enjoyable one. We take pride in our excellent customer service, food and room standards.

However I have taken note of the minor adjustments needed for the rooms. We are in the middle of discussing room updates so your comment is kindly received.

Thank you again for taking the time to review McKays Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 7 March 2018 via mobile

Lovely place with a warmly feel. Large but cosy and a fire place in the middle and good bar. The staff were really nice and helpful. We had a new waitress who didn't quite have the menu but her colleagues assisted and fixed anything. Pool table and puggies in the back section as well as sports on the TV My room was small and cosy and was really beautiful.

Stayed: March 2018, traveled on business

Good Evening Weebabbyali

Thank you very much for your glowing review! I am very pleased to read your stay was an enjoyable one for you.

We take pride in our excellent customer service, food and room standards so I am pleased to see you appreciate a nice cosy Scottish hotel when you see one and recognise the thought we put into every aspect of it.

Thank you again for taking the time to review McKays Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.