“Still waiting on a reply re an overcharge!”
Review of Red Onion

Red Onion
Ranked #169 of 2,573 Restaurants in Glasgow
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Centre
Description: Red Onion is situated in the heart of Glasgow City Centre. The Chef/patron, John Quigley started his career in London’s West End where he quickly established himself and gained a reputation for excellent casual gourmet dining. He then took the opportunity to travel the world as a private chef to many rock stars and celebrities such as Bryan Adams, Tina Turner and The Bee Gees. In 1996 John decided to move back to his hometown – Glasgow to put down roots. In the past 9 years John has opened and established numerous successful restaurants which have achieved international recognition. This year John, along with his wife Gillian, decided to open their own restaurant – Red Onion. Red Onion is open 7 days a week serving food all day from 10am. It is a contemporary casual dining experience that offers something for everyone. John believes in using all the finest natural local produce and combining them with many ingredients and flavours he has experienced on his extensive travels around the world
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My husband and I went to the Red Onion on Saturday 31/3/18, our first night out in over a year! I booked online and saw the pre theatre menu which suited us fine. £14.95 for 2 courses. We were given a lovely quiet table as requested and great food and service, couldn't fault it...although bit misleading with the pre theatre menu? Our bill came to £67.00 & we gave the waitress a £5 tip. On closer inspection were overcharged by £16. We had a starter each & main course & 2 glasses of house wine each. I hv been in touch with the restaurant but no answer back which has left a sour taste in our mouth. I look forward to a reply! We would highly recommend even though we had this discrepancy.

1  Thank Majorca2011
Write a ReviewReviews (1,171)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Although there are a lot of vegan restaurants in Glasgow it is not easy to find a more up market place for a celebration that will cater for carnivores and vegans, The Red Onion have a lovely selection of vegan options including proper desserts. We went there to celebrate my daughter's graduation, with 2 vegans in the party, their graduation menu was lovely and great value, with a personalised menu which was a great touch to make it special. The food was marvelous and the service excellent, we had a lovely evening and would recommend it for a special vegan night out.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This was a bit of a find. A buzzy, brasserie style restaurant off Sauciehall Street. The food was interesting and flavoured (haggis bonbons were lovely). Wine was good quality and good value. The staff were friendly and knowledgeable. A treasure.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I'm aware of the awards won by the restaurateur and I also went to the 2017 BBC Good Food Show in SECC so my wife and I bought an Itison deal to try the Red Onion out.

The restaurant was modern and well presented. It was also busy for a Wednesday. It became clear to us that most were on deals.

For starters we had bang bang chicken and goat's cheese. Not a lot of cooking on show but nice enough. We also ordered a bottle of white wine which was pricey at £24.

We both had sea bass for mains. Fish looked lifeless and lost in a sea of croutons and salad. Have to say we ate the lot as it was tasty enough but we were expecting a lot more.

Service was very good and another plus was the cleanliness of the toilets but I don't see us returning.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Had a lovely meal here, duck. Well cooked and presented. Atmosphere was good, service was very good. And cocktails were fabulous

Been to Red Onion? Share your experiences!