“Very well done. An enjoyable and interesting visit”

Dunfermline Carnegie Library & Galleries
Ranked #6 of 70 things to do in Dunfermline
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Dunfermline Carnegie Library & Galleries (DCL&G) offers a new museum, gallery spaces, cafe, shop and reading rooms all adjoining the world's first Carnegie Library now reopened to the public. Edinburgh Architecture Association Building of the Year. Full dates of festive holidays and planned maintenance closure for Dunfermline Carnegie Library & Galleries are as follows: Monday 25th – Wednesday 27th December (Christmas holiday) Monday 1st – Wednesday 3rd January (New Year holiday) Monday 8th – Friday 12th January (planned maintenance)
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Spent a couple of hours here. Very well presented history of the area with lovely views of the abbey and gardens. Great cafe too. We had coffee and cake but it looked like quite a few people had afternoon tea.

All reviews
"great history"
"abbots house"
"cakes"

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Husband and I visited the museum today with my 5 year and 14 year daughters, first time and would definitely recommend a visit. A free event during Easter holiday is always well received and the displays and layout were very engaging.
We didn’t get a chance to go outside to see the maze but means we have an excuse to come back!

One slight point - this is clearly a new offering, new shiny building and displays and I was disappointed that the staff were by no means friendly, engaging nor welcoming.

A question at the main reception on the Easter event to find letters was waved away (sorry to disturb your busy day but you work in a public facing environment, a smile or word of encouragement goes a long way)!

We went to see the art gallery and it seemed we were followed by a member of staff. Some laughter from a 5 year old is to encouraged, we bring our girls up to be respectful of their environment- there was no one in and there was a game to play.

Overhearing the same member of staff say on an intercom that “childrens” (not even grammatically correct may I add) were outside and I can only assuming causing her concern (no reason I could see) suggests there may be some that resentment of younger patrons onsite.

I’m sure this comes from a passion to keep the museum for generations to come and perhaps a bad day....

Don’t let this put you off!! I’ll certainly be back.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This place is virtually next door to the abbey and is well worth a visit in its own right. Apart from the library, which has comfortable chairs to sit down and read, it also houses the local museum. Dunfermline has a long and distinguished history in the annals of Scotland and the museum reflects this with the main emphasis less on the ancient and more on the modern period. There are displays demonstrating how typical working class rooms looked like at various past times and Pete Agnew of Nazareth fame has donated his electric bass guitar. This hangs in the main entrance. While I was at the gallery there was an excellent exhibition of the paintings of the Glasgow boys. There is also a good cafe on site.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I’m ashamed to say I was unaware of the extension to the library, I live nearby and came across it when showing my sister Dunfermline town centre. What a fantastic building and grounds. We thoroughly enjoyed the beautifully presented museum and art exhibition. I will be going back again with my family and look forward to trying out the cafe there. It’s really well worth a visit if you are visiting Dunfermline.